• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 engine swap or modify

isaiahpowell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 mazda b4000 with a 4.0 v6 engine. The truck is modified to be a pre runner but I am not liking the lack of power and speed from the engine. I have a tuned diesel and a turbo charged st so driving this is not as exciting as driving my other vehicles. I'm thinking about swapping to a ls or maybe going carburated 302. I'm on a budget with the engine build and want to do alot of it myself for learning purposes. What have people found to be the best for these vehicles? Is there anything I could do to pull alot more power from the 4.0?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Usually budget and power both increase at the same time. One change that would make an immediate difference is deeper(higher numerical) rear end gears. If you have 4.10 gears those tall tires would make it feel like running 3.00's. I'd consider 4.56's or even 4.88's with those tires.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I think the 351 will correct the power situation in my 93. NH has OBD II emissions testing on everything under 8500 GVW that's 96 or newer, would a carbureted V8 swap be legal in Texas?
rf eng view.JPG

isaiahpowell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
That does look nice. I had a bronco with the 351 and loved how it pulled. Just didnt go fast. Is there alot you can do to the 351 to get the speed out of it.
I dont believe I have emissions where I'm at in the county. I have to do some checking but either way I'll find a way around it. I have a drivers license for Colorado and they only do emissions for the city of denver.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'm not as serious an offroader as most of the truck builders here, but be wary of a carburetor and offroad. Fuel delivery and heat both become issues quickly. There's a few articles on this in the tech section.

Have personally seen guys with more extreme builds convert to propane/LP to mitigate said fueling issues.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Or, if I'm going to be my normal jackass self:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Plus propane has the wonderful advantage of being able to run even if the truck is upside down. :icon_thumby:

isaiahpowell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
I dont think I've ever heard of a propane ran offroad vehicle. I'll have to look into it. I know alot of people that go to dunes and drive keep away from carburated due to all the sand.
What causes the carburated engine to over heat? Is there any mitigations that can be done to make it work?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Carburetors run on low pressure. Low fuel pressure has the inherent problem of vapor lock. A condition when the fuel in the line vaporizes and since the fuel pump cant push vapor the engine dies until the lines cool back down. Extremely well insulated lines solve this issue but any way you look at it EFI is simply a more effective system in efficiency, power, and reliability. Carbs are simplistic and don't require additional sensors or controllers so its much easie and cheaper to build a carbed engine though. Its very easy to convert a carbed engine to propane which increases the efficiency and reliable and eliminates vapor lock issues. Its popular with rock crawlers that are often at extreme angles. Propane is also a very high octane so you can build the engine with a much higher compression ratio. More compression = more power. It also burns insanely clean so carbon buildup is almost none existent.

Last edited:

isaiahpowell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b4000
Transmission
Automatic
How hard would it be to put a fuel injected 5.0 into my truck? I'm not wanting to have to change every piece of the truck. I've heard with putting an LS you have to change just about everything.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Not hard at all. You can get a 5.0 from an explorer and its almost a direct bolt in replacement in a ranger since they are practically the same truck.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my prerunner with a ohv 4.0, 5.13 gears and 35s TUNED made 100 wheel HP.
a stock explorer 5.0 makes 150 wheel hp. add your big tires to that mix and that number will drop so imo that swap is not worth the work in anyway.
if you have the money go LS base engine 100% theres no easier or more cost effective way to get 250-300 wheel hp
a stock 6.0 LQ9 engine and 4l80e transmission (or turbo400) is the go to combo for pretty much everyone racing or playing in the desert. but that needs all new wiring, mounts, gauges, management.

I recently did a 4.0 sohc swap into my truck with out changing almost anything. used the old wiring computer trans and even engine mounts. im expecting somewhere around 180 wheel hp after a tune. i havent gotten the tune yet, but i have been driving it around a few days and i will say its ALOT more exciting to drive and way faster.

EDIT: the stock trans will not bolt to any other engine listed above.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Would I want to upgrade the transmission? Or can the stock one be modified to handle more horsepower added?
Auto or manual. The m5od manual can be bolted to the 5.0. The automatic cannot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals