• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 c5 help

84bronc2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys..long time reader ,first time poster..hope im in the right place.
i have a 84 bronco 2 4x4 with a c5 3 speed.i put a 4.0 out of a 94 explorer in it,got around to test driving it, and it wont shift out of 1st, tryed starting out in
2nd and it seens like its there just a slite difference between starting out in d
or starting out in 2nd..just hard to tell...
have 4 wires comming from the trans,,purple w/orange...black w/purple..and 2 red w/blues..the red with blues i tied into the exp harness to start safty switch,,,so that works..the black w/ pur..goes to the rear of the bronco from trand..dont know what the purple w/ orange is..
i have the modulator valve vac line on the vac tree on top the 4.0 intake..
and its workin down on the mod valve on the trans..so...
1 does my trans have a lock up converter?
2 am i missing a wire somewhere?
3 dont the modulator valve make it shift? the trans was working fine before i dont the 4.0 swap
help.. thanks all..

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What are you using for a kickdown rod/cable? You NEED this. It will not shift correctly without it. If you don't have it and build one, let me know what you use, because I have a C5 that I will put behind a 4.0 someday and will need to build something similar.

The C5 does have a lockup converter UNLESS the trans has been rebuilt and the converter was swapped out for a non-locking version. From what I have been told, you cannot buy a brand new lockup converter anymore.

The wiring harness for the trans is for the neutral safety switch and reverse lights only. Has nothing to do with the actual function of the trans.

The vacuum modulator controls some hydraulic pressure within the transmission. Could have something to do with your problem, but somewhat unlikely.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
The C5s that came in '84 and '85 Rangers and Bronco II DO NOT have a lock up converter. I also have an '84 that was a C5 trans BII. I put a V8 in it and used the same transmission, but converted to a C4 VB. I had a shifting issue as it was way too soft at the 1-2 shift. I ended up changing my servo as the C5 has a wimpy little servo in it stock. I switched to one that came in the C4 and it was night and day. But thats not your problem here today. Sounds like you may have a"mechanical" issue as oppsoed to internal. As was asked above, did you install the kick down? You can ( I did ) replace the non adjustable modulator with an adjustable one and see what changes. If you floor it and run it all the way up in RPM . . no shift at all ? Did you mess with your shifter linkage at all?? ( I removed the stock bellcrank on mine ).

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Really? I thought all the C5's had lockup converters. I was under the impression that they're just no longer made as replacement parts.

According to this, they do, take Wikipedia with a grain of salt though I guess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C4_transmission

84bronc2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
update..
i didnt hook up the kickdown..someone told me its just for like passing gear???? drove it again today, i started out in 1st on the floor shifter got to around 3 on rpms moved to 2nd seemed to drop rpms little under 3 then went to d and same droped alittle then rpms came back up to 3000...but i was doin 45-50 @3000 rpms...if the shifts was there you can hardly feel em..i had to be lookin at rpm gauge..then after pullin in driveway going up a hill slow seemed like it was in 3rd...had to put shifter into 1st to get up it...
is it because kickdown lever is not on???how would i hook it to the tbody on the 4.0??? thanks

84bronc2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
how can i tell if it has a lockup converter???

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You can tell because if it's the trans from the Bronco II, it doesn't have a lock up. That's all you have to know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals