• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 auto harness on manual

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Is it possable to use a 90 4.0 auto underhood harness when swapping 4.0 into a 89 2.9 manual? I know 4.0 manual ecu must be used are there any other hurtles? THANX!!

AlaskanRider

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't done one, but thought this might help you.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/InterchangingTansmissions.html

I would say yes, because they say that you can bolt a manual into a auto truck.

I will probably find out for sure sometime this summer, as I have a dying 2.3 manual, and a wrecked 4.0 auto (d'oh, at least it was free). Im hoping to bolt a manual tranmission to the 4.0 after its swapped and i find a manual for it.

Good luck! Let me know if it works out, hopefully an experienced person chimes in.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
THANK-YOU for taking the time to show me this link

I THOUGHT I looked thru them all "LOL" NOT! make sure you have the m50d tranny The tranny code is m n the door jam.THANX again! :) Wouldnt hold your breath bout chimn n LOL!

Last edited:

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
I am running a 91 4.0L auto trans harness and ecm in a manual trans BII. It works but I get a weird surge in rpm, about 100-200rpm surge when I put the clutch in and roll the last couple feet up to stop, but once the vehicle stops it returns to idle. No CEL or any other problems that I'm aware of tho.

I wired the park neutral switch wires into my clutch saftey switch. I wired my own reverse switch in too as I believe the auto harness has them on the steering column shift assembly.

The 4.0L auto harness has an engine bay connector plug for the trans harness, I just removed it when I swapped in the 4.0L.

Far as I can remember (it's been a couple years since the swap) the back up light and park/neutral switches were the only real differances, but were easy to deal with.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Same here. Auto harness, was running a auto ecu at first also, but have since switched to a manual ecu.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx!!

THANX 4 taking the time to respond soon as I get my clutch im gonna tear into it I hope you guys dont mind if I message you if I run into problems "LAST RESORT" Im 1 of those people that can have it explained or read it but to retain the info I have to be the 1 doing it CRAZY huh THANX again!

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
More detail

thought Id say that Im putting the 90 4.0 in and replacing a 2.9 in a manual m code 89 extended cab using the 90 underhood harness LUV this kinna thing! LOL

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah no problemo man, message away.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
:)

THANX! When I get done I WILL PAY IT FORWARD!

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Its in

the motors in and bolted up used 90 4.0 auto ecu & engine bay harness plugged into 89 2.9 manual dash harness backup lights were easy same wire color codes I wired the neutral safety wires 1 red & 1 pink with blue strip to the manual NSS is this good or bad? I havnt put battery in yet because I dont want to fry anything wanted to get sum more knowledgeable input.THANX!!

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Well it's pissing rain sideways out there, so I'll wait till it stops, lol, my manual says your looking for a grey w/red stripe (GY/R) and a light blue w/ yellow stripe (LB/Y) for manual and auto 4.0L BII/Ranger. There was 4 wires in that plug right? The other 2 should be either reverse light or OD light, that pink w/blue your talking about might be the OD or reverse light?

Mine is a 91 Explorer 4.0L, engine harness and dash so not sure if the colors are the same or not, the manual says red w/light blue and pink for both auto and manual Explorers for the clutch triple function switch and park/neutral switch.

Once it stops raining I'll get out there and confirm my wire colors anyways.

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
wiring

The wires for reverse lights were the same on the auto & manual, power wire to switch is purple with orange strip,to lights black with pink stripe. On the 4 prong combo NSS & reverse lite switch on the auto I ran the red wire to the NSS switch on the manual & the pink with blue stripe out of NSS, guess it goes to starter.The tranny controls & torq converter lock up had their own plug "cut it off ".If the circuit for the starting system is complete red with blue & pink wires "once key is engaged it should fire up ? "IN THEORY" LOL THANX for taking time to help!

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
No power

Got everything hooked up started almost immediately almost died fuel system recharged smoothed right out BUT all the wires I worked on work fine also I have no tailights,back up lights,radio or heater fan and gas gauge is pegged.only front blinkers come on and stay on do have headlights front running and dome light.and fuel pump works? "HEP HEP DEPUTY DAWG M SINKN N THE CRICK MUD"

Last edited:

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Its done

Just had to repin a couple cannon plugs & believe it or not,clean a fuse terminal inside the cab,it runs great well worth the effort! Highly recommend this swap if I can help someone doing the same thing feel free to ask & THANXS to all who advised me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals