• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 98 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger has just barely 100.000, the guy before me didnt care for it, the block is cracked, I am in need of preferably another lowish mile engine, can anyone here help?

What specifically should I be looking for? Id like to make the swap as seamless as possible. Its an automatic 4WD truck.

Thanks for any help

BTW Im in Florida, just outside of Tampa.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You can go here www.car-part.com And check. I did a quick search in Florida, some places have a reman engine for about $2100. The others they have are around $500-$800 but a lot of them have some miles on them. Here's one that says "low miles". Don't know what that means.

Engine Assembly
Ford Explorer
4.0L, OHV (VIN X, 8th digit), Federal emissions TESTED LOW MILES WITH WARRANTY
X​
$550​
E & J OpaLocka Corp USA-FL(Opa-Locka) Request_Quote 786-502-1672 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Engine Assembly
Ford Ranger
4.0L (VIN X, 8th digit, 6-245), EGR, Federal emissions TESTED LOW MILES WITH WARRANTY
X​
$550​
E & J OpaLocka Corp USA-FL(Opa-Locka) Request_Quote 786-502-1672 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I am not at all interested in something with anywhere near 200K or more, Id prefer to find one lowish miles and not rebuilt as well cause who knows what day of the week it was built on.

I could be wrong but I think I was told that my 98 engine was pretty specific in that there were some changes made 99 and up that would affect how my accessories would bolt on.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I am not at all interested in something with anywhere near 200K or more, Id prefer to find one lowish miles and not rebuilt as well cause who knows what day of the week it was built on.

I could be wrong but I think I was told that my 98 engine was pretty specific in that there were some changes made 99 and up that would affect how my accessories would bolt on.
Lowest miles are best of course. But I guess you realize your truck is over 20 years old now. Time does fly by.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I can omly wish it weren't so. I called about the engine above.

Guys down in Miami and isn't interested in telling the truth about what he has. Thanks though

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I can omly wish it weren't so. I called about the engine above.

Guys down in Miami and isn't interested in telling the truth about what he has. Thanks though
Do you know anyone you trust to get you a rebuilt engine? Apparently you want to get this truck going. You could get a core block and use the rest of your engine and get someone to rebuild it. Or buy one from a rebuilding company you like.

Been in this spot before. You can;

Find another truck, but they all have high mileage or there is usually something wrong with them or,

You can buy a new truck. You know what you have and have a warrenty, but the payments are something else. Spending $2-$3 thousand on a rebuilt engine seems like a lot. Till you compare $300 a month new truck payments plus all the taxes involved.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I agree. Dosent hurt to ask around though first. Ill be driving it this weekend again watering my trees. Its been good to me.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So what will interchange? If your not sure I'd rather you say

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My '98 Ranger has a '99 engine under the hood - nothing really stood out for accessory differences - but then I was most reinstalling the '98 pieces...

Physically, everything from a '90 4.0 OHV from Aerostar to 2010 4.0 SoHC from Mustang bolts to transmission and engine mounts - from there its just accessories and wiring.
OK, installing a 4.0 SoHC really isn't going to give you any performance benefits - the computer can't take advantage of the higher rpms - but it is probably your best choice for low mileage.​
So , for ease '90 to '00 4.0 OHV needs fewest changes; might need intake swapped, might need different bolts/brackets for some of accessories.​

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. Not interested in performance. I use the truck on my farm but its good to know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals