• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3rd times the charm

Underdog_jku

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Hello everybody. New to the group but not to the world of Rangers. Had 2 in the past a ‘94 Reg Cab with the 2.3, and a ‘99 Reg Cab with the 3.0. Both 5 speeds. I traded the ‘94 in for the ‘99 and then had to trade that one in for a family car, due to you can’t easily fit a baby seat and wife in a small pickup.

Nowadays I’m a Jeep fanatic owning both a 2009 Wrangler and a 2013 Grand Cherokee. I recently got back into a Ranger with my oldest son coming of age to drive. We recently bought a 2000 XLT 4x4 extended cab, auto, 4.0.

Oh how, did sitting in that truck bring back some old memories. And I’m hoping this will be the start of making memories with my son. It has 183k on it and was sitting for a while before we bought it so of course it has some issues. But that’s what some knowledge and a good set of tools is for right?

Most important thing for me was the engine started right up and wasn’t knocking, spitting or sputtering. There were no leaks and no smell of coolant. I was happy. I will have to change the steering pump, and do a go through of the fluids. Changing all fluids is a must for a vehicle which was sitting as long as this one was.

My goal will be a daily driver for my son to go back and forth to school, work and the beach. That and the occasional trip up to Hidden Falls Off Road Park here in Tx. Gotta make those memories.

I look forward to read the forums and bouncing ideas of all you people. I am definitely glad to have another Ranger back in the family.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Welcome. Nice truck. Gettin' another one after all that time, is kinda like coming home, I bet.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Looks like that one might have a body lift... if it doesn't she's has the torsions would up.

Good to hear you and your son are doing a project together... even better that it's a Ranger.

Take some time a browse through the Tech Library here on the site. Lots of mods and information I'm sure you will find helpful.

Welcome to TRS...

Underdog_jku

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Welcome. Nice truck. Gettin' another one after all that time, is kinda like coming home, I bet.
Yes! I’ve always been a Ford guy and I’m very happy to have another Ford back in the family fleet. I’ve had two expedition prior to the Jeeps.

Underdog_jku

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Looks like that one might have a body lift... if it doesn't she's has the torsions would up.

Good to hear you and your son are doing a project together... even better that it's a Ranger.

Take some time a browse through the Tech Library here on the site. Lots of mods and information I'm sure you will find helpful.

Welcome to TRS...
I believe it has a 2” body lift is what I was told. It was suppose to be for clearance of the tires but I was thinking about taking it off. I’ll have to look at it a little more.
I’m not to familiar with the torsion system so I’ll have to look into that too. I was told the suspension is suppose to have stayed all stock. 🤷‍♂️

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I believe it has a 2” body lift is what I was told. It was suppose to be for clearance of the tires but I was thinking about taking it off. I’ll have to look at it a little more.
I’m not to familiar with the torsion system so I’ll have to look into that too. I was told the suspension is suppose to have stayed all stock. 🤷‍♂️
2 inch looks about right. I'm not a huge fan of body lifts... but less of a fan of the lifted torsion keys. They sure are tough on the front suspension and axles if you crank them up. The SLA trucks are limited to what you can do... be sure to poke around and do some reading before you order parts,

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
@Underdog_jku

wow! someone around where i live. i got my truck in Rockport and live in flour bluff. awesome that you and your son are doing the work. i did the same thing with my kids on their e30 bmws and jeeps. engine swaps, trans swaps, rear ends, all kinds of stuff. my kids love working on their own cars now and can do all their own work.

did you get that truck from a guy named steve?

Underdog_jku

Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
@Underdog_jku

wow! someone around where i live. i got my truck in Rockport and live in flour bluff. awesome that you and your son are doing the work. i did the same thing with my kids on their e30 bmws and jeeps. engine swaps, trans swaps, rear ends, all kinds of stuff. my kids love working on their own cars now and can do all their own work.

did you get that truck from a guy named steve?
no I got it through a good friend from Aransas Pass.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals