• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3rd Gen 2wd Ranger/mountaineer V8 swap (WIP 2022)

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
(This will be a forum log of my 1998 ranger V8 5.0 swap using a 2000 v8 2wd mountaineer. )
--Story time skip to just read about the truck/SUV---
So I Picked up a 1998 Step-side Ranger XLT 248K miles 2.5L 5spd manual in Feb 2022 fairly cheap but it is super rough. I needed something to stop putting miles and grime/dirt heavy usage on our family SUV. Trucks here in the sunbelt have gotten stupidly priced for used (IMHO) Pandemic, chip shortage, cash for junkers, who knows. you'll see a you-tuber talk about how they picked up a almost mint xx car/truck for hundreds few easy fixes and Bam great running transportation, not me. I just know in 2018 I could barely, barely sale a well kept 2nd owner 2004 200K 6.0 diesel ford excursion limited for what busted not running, some no title trucks are going for today May 2022. Regardless happened upon a guy saying he was selling a Ranger and a 98 to top it off, so I jump on it, not doing my normal checks for a used car/truck. I mean it fired up no problem oil looked fine had coolant. Handed over cash put full tank of gas and drove it 50miles on highway 60-75mph no problem. It drove fine for 2 weeks (only driven 4 days of those two weeks to be clear). Became hard to start, I went through the motions of the normal problems and codes were all over the place Crank and cam sensors, miss fires, ect( being honest I threw parts at it since we had just gotten a new to us house and all my tools diagnostics wise were packed and scattered, and was in a rush to fix few things on our old house to sale before what I felt like was a crashing housing market). We have two other main vehicles so this wasn't going to be my daily commuter but it would have been nice seeing how it was a gas sipping 4cly. So it got left on side of house for a few weeks. Finally put new fuel filter and pump in as well as a fresh battery and it ran great for 2 days. At a red light it lost power but miraculously made it home never going above 2K rpms and really slow on take off. While checking fuel pressure and releasing the pressure I saw the fuel was pretty much white as soap suds. Pulled bed, opened tank again and saw what I felt was a lot of water dispersion bubbles. Drained tank, put 5 gallons of non ethanol fuel in and after a few hard starts it fired up. sounded fine, then minute or two in while looking at oil pressure and fuel pressure it abruptly stopped. tried to start again, no go not even a crank, wasn't battery engine wouldn't move. Popped plugs to see if maybe fuel or old fuel had hydro-locked cylinders, still couldn't turn it with starter or breaker bar at crank. Pulled starter to check flywheel ring no sign of it being broken so tried again with starter off. No luck. so I chalk it up as engine locked. WELP time for a engine swap once my local yard said a running long block 2.5L would be $1800 for a 160K mile engine or $1200 for one that was 220K miles. No thanks. truck sat for another month I even posted it thinking I'd never get time to find a good swap. contemplated 5.3's since it really does seem like every one is "LS swapping the world". Then I read about the explorer/mountaineer V8 swap. Looked on marketplace and only found 2 high mileage no title or very totaled mountaineers but turns out both were AWD. Few days later I happen to look again and found a 2000 Mountaineer listed but they hadn't listed anything other then "2000 mountaineer engine and trans good was in a wreck 240K miles". The wreck from pictures looked liked just a smashed bumper cover and pushed in passenger fender. After two tries we were finally able to meet up, I found a few issues but for the price and mileage not horrible, and hell AC worked if you tapped it with a plastic mallet which they threw in so what could go wrong, but what do I know I bought a ranger that barely lasted days thinking the same thing.

********So Here we are, 1998 ranger ditching the entire 2.5L drive train and a Complete donor, running (for now) 2000 2wd 5.0L mountaineer. I plan to take what everything I can from the mountaineer and swap into the Ranger. Why? for science! or just fun or so show my sons not everything has to be Ls swapped for it to be fun. a Tiny ranger with a refreshed 5.0L should still be enough fun to get in trouble with.

I'll be researching the tech sections and any YouTube vids or other forums for specific but. Lucky you guys (TRS) have a awesome lay of a tech section and google constantly leads me back to past threads which is so refreshing after learning more about drifting/cars modding to have more to talk about with one of my son I found alot of forums just shutdown and move to a Facebook page and those are not as easily navigated or laid out as forums and threads are to me anyhow so thanks Again for that to the staff those who've done these great tech write ups!

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pictures to start off with
IMG_20220214_171301__01.jpg
IMG_20220511_192617.jpg

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
IMG_20220214_171332.jpg
IMG_20220214_171741.jpg
IMG_20220214_171735.jpg
IMG_20220214_171359.jpg

Attachments

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The donor SUV 2000 2wd mountaineer 240k miles some leaks and squeaks. But not a bad beater.
IMG_20220511_192617.jpg
IMG_20220511_192644.jpg
IMG_20220511_192653.jpg
IMG_20220511_193118.jpg
IMG_20220511_193334.jpg

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Post pics when you start your swap, glad to see people still interested in doing V8 swaps on these trucks, since the small truck market died in 2011.

RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4dr XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Post pics when you start your swap, glad to see people still interested in doing V8 swaps on these trucks, since the small truck market died in 2011.
Yes Please. I'm one of the ones still interested in this swap, though it is on a long list of projects.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you should put the V8 in that yellow convertible, but that's just me...

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think you should put the V8 in that yellow convertible, but that's just me...
Took me a minute to figure out wth you meant😅. Forgot about my son's mini Cooper power wheels.

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hoping to pull the dead 2.5L today. Kinda annoyed that the tires deflated in 3 weeks to the point I can't get it to air up so already costing me just to move it.

FatboyShadetree78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Soooo im pretty much in the same lake just not the same boat. The mounting looks a little difficult but not where my issue is. Will the shifter linkage mount the same? My 3.0 with 2wd A4LD is getting replaced with a 302 with AOD and an 8.8inch axle.

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
life and more life got in the way.. so. 2.5L is pulled! Finally! Now I love the super awesome ford ranger 5.0 engine swap guide this site has and its been super easy to follow. I did how ever completly read over something. IN the guide it say your 98+ mounts will work with the mountainner v8 swap. What I missed was they did keep stating 4x4! I have a 2wd, meaing I have a cross member between the shock towers. I then found that Id need adapater plates. thought about cutting some out but lets be real this isn't as fast as Id hope. I'm not 20 anymore with little responsibliltes and more time then money. So I ordered rick rangers mounting plates which arrived last week. I have a few things I want to do before dropping in the 5.0 like clean it and see where or what may have been leaking. (bottom is very mukked with oil). also I broke a spark plug while pulling engine so gotta pick one up and swap it out.

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pulled 2.5L
Empty engine bay of a 2wd 1998 2.5L
Stripped 01 mountineer

Attachments

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Soooo im pretty much in the same lake just not the same boat. The mounting looks a little difficult but not where my issue is. Will the shifter linkage mount the same? My 3.0 with 2wd A4LD is getting replaced with a 302 with AOD and an 8.8inch axle.
I'm not sure yet but I'll be using the automatic for now, along with (if it fits) entire mountaineer dash and steering column.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For the record - the mountaineer dash and steering column interchange with those from Ranger. And it might simplify your wiring slightly.
The width difference (1"/side) between Ranger and Explorer (Mountaineer) is made up in the door panels.​

Your grey A arm trim pieces might look a little strange with brown dash (just noting).

Merc4now

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
For the record - the mountaineer dash and steering column interchange with those from Ranger. And it might simplify your wiring slightly.
The width difference (1"/side) between Ranger and Explorer (Mountaineer) is made up in the door panels.​

Your grey A arm trim pieces might look a little strange with brown dash (just noting).
Nice to know because! I'm actually getting close to that point.
to be clear you do mean the entire dash right not just instrument cluster?

I over estimated how long it would take with just a few hrs a week at most between kids bdays/sports/family reserve drill. seems like I get a few bolts in and have to leave for something.

Anyhow, engine is in, auto trans from mountaineer is in and bolted up. kinda flaky on the trans mount right now but I'll straighten it out later.
One Thing I suggest to anyone doing this is before fully mouting engine or trans make sure your wiring harness is set up as close as possible to where it needs to be. lost 2 hrs trying to get the transmission wiring harness from where it was stuck (top of intake mainifold) down into the tunnel area. I eventually pulled the blower housing and heater box to get better view and access as thats a big chunky square connector to get in between the little space the 5.0 leaves as is.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals