• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3G wiring confusion.....

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys, truck is an '88 2.9L....the stock alternator "D-shaped" plug has 2 wires, one that is green/red striped and the other that is BLACK/YELLOW STRIPED. The only info online i can find, including schematics, is that this black/yellow striped wire is "supposed" to be yellow/white. I dont want to wire up this alternator incorrectly!
The other rectangular plug also has 2 wires.....one BLACK/YELLOW STRIPED and one black.
Idk if this truck is different because it is an STX with a light bar/lights and fog lights from the factory and was wired differently??
In any case, the "painless" 3G harness im trying to use has a green/red striped wire and a yellow/white wire.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Should be fine with that wiring, assuming you have a VOLT METER on the dash not an AMP METER

The green/red wire is Battery Light wire, runs to dash, its the ON/OFF switch for alternator

Black/yellow should be hooked to battery positive as should the other black/yellow and black wires
Use a volt meter and test that all 3 show "battery volts"
Test battery first then test each wire should be exactly the same volts, key off or on doesn't matter
These 3 wires use fusible links attached to starter relay on inner fender, where battery positive cable is attached

Green/red wire should only show 12v only with key on
If you want to test that, which you should, because you are replacing alternator for a reason, lol

An alternator has no Ground wire, just the metal case is all the ground it needs

Yes, in 1988 that one black/yellow wire with the green/red wire should be a yellow/white wire
And the other two wires should be black/orange, so not sure how these changes happened

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ron thanks a ton for sharing....i wired it up accordingly....this is a 5.0 conversion so i cant "test" her out yet

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
an additional suggestion I have would be to add an additional heavy gauge wire from the output stud directly to battery positive (this would be where the black/orange wires would be connected to)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals