• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3G Shutdown - Time for a new phone.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i bet you are right. i think back pockets get a lot of people's phone screens
Every time I see a YUGE "smart" phone sticking out of someone's back pocket, I say to myself, that's a phone waiting to be broken. Sit on a hard chair, hard bench, or just fall on your ass. Broken phone. I keep my 5G flip phone in a pouch on my ankle. Out of sight, out of mind.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Every time I see a YUGE "smart" phone sticking out of someone's back pocket, I say to myself, that's a phone waiting to be broken. Sit on a hard chair, hard bench, or just fall on your ass. Broken phone. I keep my 5G flip phone in a pouch on my ankle. Out of sight, out of mind.
The trouble is they don't fit anywhere else. Some of those phones are ridiculous. Just carry a tablet around. I probably don't use mine like most smartphone owners do, but the smaller screen didn't bother me. It was convenient to check things here and there but if I had to do anything more than that I'd use a tablet or PC. My wife uses hers different than I do and benefits from the larger screen, but she has a purse to store it in.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you get a belt holster for your giant smart phone you can be as cool as this guy. Or get a phanny pack.

1656445930944.png

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm surprised you got this far with 3G. I had to replace mine 3 years ago with a 4G LTE flip phone. Still using it (TracFone, prepaid minutes). Works for me.
The carriers over here appear to have maintained 3G, although I noticed some gaps in coverage started appearing in 2020. Right now 3G coverage is poor unless you are along the freeway or main arterial routes where there are a lot of retailers.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you get a belt holster for your giant smart phone you can be as cool as this guy. Or get a phanny pack.

View attachment 78252
Personally, I don't like having anything on my belt at all, but a hand gun. My phone is carried in a pouch on my left ankle. My Leatherman Surge is carried in a pouch on my right ankle, along with the fully stocked bit kit for it. I'm in one of the 25 states with Constitutional Carry. Here it can be Open or Concealed. That's all I want on my belt. A big Ole 1911 Kimber and two spare magazines.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 6S. Sooner or later, it's going to fail or they will upgrade things to the point that it won't work. Until then, I'm keeping it. It's getting about time to replace the battery again. $14 off amazon and it will be good to go. The OtterBox case is getting pretty ragged too. Probably should look into replacing that as well. Great case that has saved my phone more than once. Well worth the $50 I paid for it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Personally, I don't like having anything on my belt at all, but a hand gun. My phone is carried in a pouch on my left ankle. My Leatherman Surge is carried in a pouch on my right ankle, along with the fully stocked bit kit for it. I'm in one of the 25 states with Constitutional Carry. Here it can be Open or Concealed. That's all I want on my belt. A big Ole 1911 Kimber and two spare magazines.
My belt has a Gerber multi tool, a mini mag, magazine pouch, and a pistol. Occasionally a pouch for the weapon light if I'm carrying a pistol with a rail. I've been too cheap to get a holster that will accommodate a mounted light and not all my pistols have a rail but everything I could get Crimson Trace grips for, has them and they all have night sights.

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I got the new phone and I now have cell service now with a good strong signal. I downloaded an app called Cellmapper to see what cell towers I can get here. Several on band 2 (LTE), and 5G bands 41, 66, and 71.

No I have to learn where all the settings are buried in the menus.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For myself, I only buy rugged phones. I have a Kyocera DuraForce Pro 2 (in the same type case I bought for the Sonim), but, after having to replace the non-replaceable battery, I moved up to a Sonim Xp8 (easily replaceable battery) inside of a rugged case (which I managed to crack and then fix with super glue).

So, my phones are bulky and I carry them in my cargo pants pocket, though these attach fairly well on the pants belt or gun belt, when under trucks, they do tend to fall off. Or worse, fall off when running a chainsaw or chipper and you have to go find it in a pile or mulch or leaves. Which is why I like having a bright colored case and skip looking cool with camo covers ...

With the big battery, if I do not watch videos I recharge every 3-5 days. I like having the house alarm.com app., followed by google maps. My "ideal" phone was the NEC Terrain, rugged with a real keyboard and replaceable battery, but, time by-passed that deal, same with the blackberry

Having replaced batteries in various Samsung phones models for people, that would be the last choice of a phone for me, I break the digitizer about 1/2 the time replacing the batteries in their various model phones. Except the Apple, that would be the dead last choice of a smart phone for me in our actor based reality. Which of course, is the phone two of my kids picked, the good news is they know I refuse to work on them 🙃

My youngest daughter destroyed her new replacement phone from AT&T, for when they dropped the 3G, I think it lasted a week before she dropped it and the whole screeen when crackle. What a terrible piece of horse poop. We had the 3G phone for almost 3 years before they obsoleted it and replaced it with this piece of "free" junk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals