• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3d drawing/rendering programs

BackwoodsSaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Hey i'm looking for a good computer-aided drawing progfam for designing custom interior/exterior schemes, i'm not very tech savvy or particularly rich so cheap and simple would be nice, i use 32bit windows 7 and a galaxy2 , i'm basically just sick of importing pictures to microsoft paint, as you might imagine i want better results than that- any tips?

Ps i'm not good at freehand drawing so overlaying pictures is easiest for me

anatolamike

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
How do I set up Autocad Mechanical for 3d drawings?

the.hagop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
98, 05
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Find one?

If not, check out GIMP. www.gimp.org

GNU Image Manipulation Program, basically a free and open-source version of Photoshop, I use it a lot.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How do I set up Autocad Mechanical for 3d drawings?
I've always used a full blown version of AutoCadd (2005/2008) for 3-D work. Not familiar with the Mechanical version, is there a separate verson? Setting it up was not hard but learning was the hard part, kept you thinking. I did work from home so I could write it off on taxes.

Hey i'm looking for a good computer-aided drawing progfam for designing custom interior/exterior schemes, i'm not very tech savvy or particularly rich so cheap and simple would be nice, i use 32bit windows 7 and a galaxy2 , i'm basically just sick of importing pictures to microsoft paint, as you might imagine i want better results than that- any tips?

Ps i'm not good at freehand drawing so overlaying pictures is easiest for me
My good friend is a Mech Eng (PE) who quit to do construction design with one of less expensive programs out there. Waiting on his respose as to what's best. What do you consider cheap and how much detail do you need/want?
Dave

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used SolidEdge/Solid Works in school. it's really easy to use. it has a basic rendering tool on it that you can do a few cool things with. nothing like rhino though. if you want something free, try google sketch

Str8sixfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
if you want something free, try google sketch
-up. Sketch-up

I'm not sure what you meant by Interior/Exterior schemes. I assume you mean for a vehicle given what board we're on. But did you mean for a house or building? I work in the Architecture field and will say out of all of the aforementioned programs (aside from Solidworks and GIMP I can't speak towards)...

I'd chose Rhino first if you're talking vehicles.

I can't imagine Sketch-up doing well for that type of thing (though there are some toolbox plug-ins that do help). If you know AutoCAD you can pick Rhino up pretty easily.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals