• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w w/zf?

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
To have no pursuit is to have no purpose.
Been a long time since I posted.

I've got a 1986 Ranger with a 351w swap.
Triangulated 4-link, minispool, and had a c4. The c4 crapped out, cracked casing and sheered gears.
We've got it in the shop right now, and they're having a heck of a time.

I bought a Mustang T5, they said it wouldn't work.
Tried finding a c4, apparently they don't exist any more and no one in house can rebuild existing unit.
Now, they've got a ZF out of a 97 F250, but it is enormous and I'm being told it just won't work.

I'd like to go back to manual, but I'm not finding any good options that are reasonably priced, and a TKO is way too much for my intended purposes at this time.

And, to top it off, Advanced Adaptors doesn't seem to have much in the way of support for a 351w any more.

Does anyone have an idea where I could look for resources on something of this nature?
Truck is 2wd, long bed, std cab.
351w currently in. I've done limited searching in the forum for information, and I thought I saw a write up on it years ago. Not sure if that was on RPS or here.

I just need some help.

Attachments

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What about the Mazda 5 speed? It's very related to the transmissions that came behind the 4.0, but was found in the f150's. It's not as strong as the zf, but it is smaller and if you keep any weight out of your truck so the rear wheels just spin, it might be ok and last. As long as you do not horse around with it too much.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Here are a couple in North Carolina. Apparently the speedo gears are not changeable on it, so you have to pick the rearend ratio you have. I figured you might have a original 3.73 rearend, all they had close to that was a 3.55. If you have a way to calibrate your speedometer, you might find others you could use. I am getting this from www.car-part.com

Transmission Assembly
Ford Truck F250
4.9,4X2,5SP,MAZDA-0MI
X​
NN4810
$500​
B and H Used Auto Parts USA-NC(Marion) Request_Quote 800-832-4014 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat
Transmission Assembly
Ford Truck F150
GRY TK,MT, 5 spd, Mazda (Toyo Kogyo manufactured), 4X2, 3.55 ratio,175K
175,000​
A​
$400​
21 Motors USA-NC(Hamptonville) Request_Quote 336-468-8257 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Is it a stock 351? Cause the M5OD i doubt would last long behind a modifed one and only slightly longer if its stock. Unless you really baby it. The 302 was the most they bolted to it factory.

The ZF would be a poor choice IMO as its a truck trans and wouldnt be much fun in a sport truck. It has a creeper 1st, and is pretty large/heavy.

But unfourtantly those are about the only stick options unless you wouldnt mind a 4speed manual.

C4's are out there, just keep digging, a C6 would be eaiser to find but they are massive, and take alot of power to turn.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Also...why are they saying the T5 wont work? Pretty sure thats been done quite a few times with V8 swaps

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
T 5 is weaker then a r2. The gearing and shifter on the r2 are not ideal relative to the t5 for performance and hot rodding. ... converting to hydro slave can be pia....but it is the staple.

There are ok Toyota transmissions that are adaptable from 2wd trucks. The good car transmissions are high dollar. T56 and 45...

Rather use a cdoo9 then a t5 any day

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Is there a decent way to move the zf shifter back closer to the Ranger shifter position like you can with a 97-03 R2?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
T 5 is weaker then a r2. The gearing and shifter on the r2 are not ideal relative to the t5 for performance and hot rodding. ... converting to hydro slave can be pia....but it is the staple.

There are ok Toyota transmissions that are adaptable from 2wd trucks. The good car transmissions are high dollar. T56 and 45...

Rather use a cdoo9 then a t5 any day
What is a cdoo9?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd use a T5, I hate the way those Mazda 5 speeds shift. The T5 in my Mustang has survived 80,000+ street miles and 20+ years of drag racing. I pulled it out of the donor car, replaced the bearings and blocker rings, installed Hurst shifter and put it in the car in about 1994. I've change the fluid a couple of times and replaced the Center Force Gold clutch with a Dual Friction one when I built the current engine in 2009. The ZF is a truck transmission and , typical of German stuff, it's expensive to fix and miserable to work on. As stated, it's also friggin huge.

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
Also...why are they saying the T5 wont work? Pretty sure thats been done quite a few times with V8 swaps
To be honest, I don't know. I got the T5 specifically because I was kinda betting it would work. I see a lot of guys that do 351w swaps for their mustangs and have no issues, so I thought it would be fine.

The shop didn't give me an explanation, and I live about two hours away from it so I can't drop in and see.

I'll dig up some more info from the Mustang forums and see if I missed something important.

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
I'd use a T5, I hate the way those Mazda 5 speeds shift. The T5 in my Mustang has survived 80,000+ street miles and 20+ years of drag racing. I pulled it out of the donor car, replaced the bearings and blocker rings, installed Hurst shifter and put it in the car in about 1994. I've change the fluid a couple of times and replaced the Center Force Gold clutch with a Dual Friction one when I built the current engine in 2009. The ZF is a truck transmission and , typical of German stuff, it's expensive to fix and miserable to work on. As stated, it's also friggin huge.

I thought the T5 was good to go as well. I'll get some more info on what the deal was there Monday. They're out for the weekend.

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
Is there a decent way to move the zf shifter back closer to the Ranger shifter position like you can with a 97-03 R2?
Not sure, I have seen where guys do a body lift and make the ZF work, probably just opening up the tunnel to make it happen

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
Is it a stock 351? Cause the M5OD i doubt would last long behind a modifed one and only slightly longer if its stock. Unless you really baby it. The 302 was the most they bolted to it factory.

The ZF would be a poor choice IMO as its a truck trans and wouldnt be much fun in a sport truck. It has a creeper 1st, and is pretty large/heavy.

But unfourtantly those are about the only stick options unless you wouldnt mind a 4speed manual.

C4's are out there, just keep digging, a C6 would be eaiser to find but they are massive, and take alot of power to turn.
Yeah, it's a stock 351w out of a 97 F250, had to swap that in when I spun a beating on the old motor.
Like others have said, the zf would work with a lot of modification, but holy crap I didn't know they were that big

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, it's a stock 351w out of a 97 F250, had to swap that in when I spun a beating on the old motor.
Like others have said, the zf would work with a lot of modification, but holy crap I didn't know they were that big
The bigger trucks that the zf was installed in at the factory have a larger floor plate to accommodate the zf transmission. The larger trucks have a floor plate that unbolts and can be swapped.

Most all the truck transmissions are going to be, well, truck transmissions. Long shifter throws, lower 1st gear ratios, etc. The t5 is a car transmission. Depends on what you want in the end.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals