• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

351w EFI misfire above 3k

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So, i bought a 91 f250 with a 351w. It's got the same tfi ignition they used on the rangers. it didnt run when i bought it, no spark. i put an unknown condition used tfi module in it and it fired right up, now the problem is that it misfires above 3,000 rpm. the misfire shows on the tach (universal, aftermarket tach) so i have to believe that the issue is before the coil, not in the plugs or wires, correct? either TFI or PIP? just dont wanna throw money at it :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would put crank on TDC with rotor pointed at #1, then pull out distributor.
Check it for wobble and check the CMP sensor distance in the distributor.

Also read here for testing TFI module: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TFI_Diagnostic.shtml
thanks for the info, Ron. i had been using that tfi diagnostic page already, to figure out what the initial issue was. didnt really think about using it for this misfire issue though. ill read through it again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
High RPM or load issues can also be low fuel pressure at high RPM or restricted exhaust cause back pressure at high RPM.
Although these generally wouldn't be described as misfires more a lack of power at high RPM.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
High RPM or load issues can also be low fuel pressure at high RPM or restricted exhaust cause back pressure at high RPM.
Although these generally wouldn't be described as misfires more a lack of power at high RPM.
it definitely feels ignition related, you can see it in the tach, and it pops and sputters. its bad enough it won't continue accelerating at all at that point. it's also got an occasional miss at lower rpm. i suspect it's the hall sensor in the distributor. i might just get one on order from rockauto tonight. i cant imagine what else it would be.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know diddly-squat about a 91 F250, but if the automatic transmission has a DTRS instead of a NSS, it COULD be misadjusted or bad and the PCM thinks it's in Neutral instead of Drive. Ford purposely limits engine rpm to 3000 in Park and Neutral.

I've seen several bad DTRS cause this 3000 rpm limiter to be applied in Drive.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know diddly-squat about a 91 F250, but if the automatic transmission has a DTRS instead of a NSS, it COULD be misadjusted or bad and the PCM thinks it's in Neutral instead of Drive. Ford purposely limits engine rpm to 3000 in Park and Neutral.

I've seen several bad DTRS cause this 3000 rpm limiter to be applied in Drive.
Thats a good thought Earl, but it's a 5 speed. It's also way too violent of a misfire to be a rev limiter. I took it out tonight and got it up to about 4k just to be sure. Thanks for the input.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
got my distributor a couple days ago, and finally had a chance to drop it in tonight. all my misfire issues are gone. the new distributor came with a cam position sensor and a tfi module, so im sure it was one or the other causing my issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals