• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

32x11.5R15?

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
When I bought this truck it came with a set of free but pretty much junk tires (215/75R15). I've been driving it to work the past week or so and it's been great except the speedometer reads high (reads about 35 when doing 30), and the gears seem kinda short (5 speed). It kinda feels like someone set this truck up for larger tires then put the stock ones back on to sell it :dunno:. I calculated it out and it looks like 32x11.5s would bring the speedometer into calibration and also maybe bring the highway rpms down a tiny bit, is there any reason not to get tires that size?

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
When I bought this truck it came with a set of free but pretty much junk tires (215/75R15). I've been driving it to work the past week or so and it's been great except the speedometer reads high (reads about 35 when doing 30), and the gears seem kinda short (5 speed). It kinda feels like someone set this truck up for larger tires then put the stock ones back on to sell it :dunno:. I calculated it out and it looks like 32x11.5s would bring the speedometer into calibration and also maybe bring the highway rpms down a tiny bit, is there any reason not to get tires that size?
32x11.5x15 will not work on a stock height 1988 ranger, the front tires will rub the fenders when you try to turn. You can squeeze 31x10.50x15 if you use stock wheels (15x7) but aftermarket wheels that stick out will also make the tires rub. If you just have to have huge tires your options are a suspension lift or body lift or cutting the fenders. There's good info in the tech section of TRS on axle/tire combinations. Anything's possible if you throw enough money at it.

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
well by now I have a set on the way lol. I don't mind trimming the fenders or maybe doing a small suspension/body lift. I'll post on how it goes here. FWIW I found out I have 4.27 gears in this truck which explains a few things...

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
well by now I have a set on the way lol. I don't mind trimming the fenders or maybe doing a small suspension/body lift. I'll post on how it goes here. FWIW I found out I have 4.27 gears in this truck which explains a few things...
Do follow up with photos when you get the tires mounted. 31" was as big as I could go on my '88 without modifications.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
4.27 ? I believe thats odd for a 7.5” or 8.8”

What axle is it?

danielp3344

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger, 4x4
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
32/11.5R15
Tires have been on for a few weeks, I did trim the fenders just a hair at the corners but I think it wouldn't have been needed if it weren't for the amount of lean this truck has (with me sitting in it it's just stupid looking). It drives *great* compared to the old tires, it snowed right after I installed them and driving to work in that was amazingly non-sketchy. Also it did help correct my gearing issues a bit. Here are some pics:

Before:

After:

Yeah, mounting tires in that was real fun...
They do rub just a hair going over bumps if I have someone in the passenger seat, I got some new coil springs though and hopefully that helps. I'll get some more pics then.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Fenders trimmed at front or rear corners? Certainly does look much better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals