• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

31 spline 8.8 of a 2003 FX4

Battle Phrog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if this question was covered in a previous post! I went back several pages and did not see anything. In the event I locate an 8.8 off a 2002 or 2003 FX4, it looks like I would only need to change the rear yoke on the driveshaft to match the 8.8 and the u-bolts (larger tube diameter) to have it replace the 7.5 off my 1998 3.0. I believe the same e-brake cable can be used? Am I missing anything? Both the front and rear will also get a new set of 4.56 gears. Thanks for any comments or advice.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the site; apologies that we missed your post.

You need to get the larger u-bolts and the spring plate that the u-bolts pass through.

I have replaced 7.5 with 8.8 without change in flanges - you should be OK on '98 Ranger (anything older gets dicey).

Do you have 9" or 10" rear brakes? If you have 10" you're fine on cables, if you have 9" you will want the cables with the 8.8 axle. If you have 9", the 10" brakes have both larger diameter and wider shoes, so provide dramatically more braking. Fine 90% of time, not so good on bald tires in rain. But it never rains in SoCal, does it.

One thing to note: The tone ring in the 7.5 has 102 teeth while the 8.8 has 108 teeth, so you speedo/odometer will read ~6% high with the 8.8.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals