• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap

rangerjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.9 300 inline 6
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it to put a 302 in a 1988 ranger 4x4. and what all will i need to make this happen. what is the cheapies way to go with it.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
How hard is it to put a 302 in a 1988 ranger 4x4. and what all will i need to make this happen. what is the cheapies way to go with it.
douglasville chiming in,have you checked the tech library out?there is a good bit of info on the 5.0(302)swap,including where you might get parts.fwiw.

rangerjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.9 300 inline 6
Transmission
Manual
thanks

thanks alot skippy.........where in douglasville u at

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks alot skippy.........where in douglasville u at
about one mile south of lee road on 92.where the road crews are widening the road to two lanes.where you at in powder springs?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
A lot depends on what you want to spend and what you can find. Best way to figure this is: cheap, fast and reliable; pick two of the three. Are you going carb or EFI, stick or auto, adapter or fullsize drivetrain, engine mods or stock. The list can go on and on. The tech articles give you a good place to start looking. Just about any question you have will get answered here in the fourms. Welcome to TRS.

Matt

rangerjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.9 300 inline 6
Transmission
Manual
where you at in powder springs?
i am at dallas hwy and mar hill rd

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
engine, trans, motor mounts, oil filter relocator, dipstick, small headers, fuel pump and a shifter will get u goin really good.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A body lift will greatly help u fit everything in easy. Just a tip.

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
well right now im doing the same swap ive got an 88 4x4 and right now im collecting stuf before i start on the swap and what i went with is a 302 from a 91 merc marquis and i got a 5speed from an f250 and since my truck is a stick i went with the 5 speed from the f250 because the zf is a hydrolic clutch so it all hooks up to the clutch lines that are already there and i took a np transfer case off of a bronco and all three of these all hook up and i got all 3 from my local junkyard for 600 dollars and i also traded in my sister pos car with a blown motor which made it chaper but if u actualy haveto buy all 3 i was told it would run me more like 1000 to 1500 and then u will need motor mounts and mostlikly will need headers and a lift kit will help alot for clearence you will also most likly need a new rear end im gonna run mine till i break it but you can use an 8.8 from a newer ranger or you can buy a 9inch but it might haveto be shortened and if u wanna run it hard off road you might wanna go with a dana 35 or a dana 44 the dana 35 is from the newer rangers and the dana 44 is a solid front end its just kinda endless for cost and stuff but you can run your current front end and you can talk to some people on here for some cheaper motor mount options and header options and you can go all kinds of ways with transmissions and transfer cases and engines and heres a good dite that you can buy a manual on howto do the swap i bought it and it helped me decide to do the v8 swap and it give you options and part numbers and stuff for parts you might need i found it helpfull http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/encrypted_download.htm

rangerjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.9 300 inline 6
Transmission
Manual
thanks guy yall are help me out alot my father in law the one that came up with the idea to put a 302 in my truck i bought it from a boy that put a 2.0 in when the factory 2.3 went bad so i dont have the power i need for my 4wd so i was goin to put a 2.8 or 3.0 in but he came up with 302 and i like that idea alot better

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks guy yall are help me out alot my father in law the one that came up with the idea to put a 302 in my truck i bought it from a boy that put a 2.0 in when the factory 2.3 went bad so i dont have the power i need for my 4wd so i was goin to put a 2.8 or 3.0 in but he came up with 302 and i like that idea alot better
hey,check out the truck gallery.there are some 302 trucks there and you can get a feel for how you want yours.i have considered it but it will be well into the future and i want to build my own engine.

rangerjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.9 300 inline 6
Transmission
Manual
wireing

what about the wireing do i need to get the wireing harness out of a f 150 or will the wireing in my truck work

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
are you staying EFI or going carb? FOr EFI you are going to need some harness from the other vehicle to get everything working right.

Matt

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry,can't help with the wiring.just wanted to let you know about a place on maxham road just off thornton rd that has aftermarket body parts for many different vehicles including rangers.called aftermarket auto parts,they seem to be comparable to lmc truck prices w/1 day wait on ordered parts.770 944 0796.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the november issue of car craft has a article on budget build of junkyard 302 that makes 279hp and 341ft/lbs of torque,fwiw.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals