• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap questions

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Sorry for another thread on a 302 swap but I have a few questions. The 2.8 in my 85 bronco 2 may have finally given up on life and I don't want to wast any time replacing a boat anchor. I have a guy willing to get me a 302 and c4 tranny for 600 which is about all I can afford at the time. What else would I need and will it bolt up to my t case ? Oh and one last thing I'm going from manual to auto so will there be any complication there? Thank you for the tips and please feel free to explain what you had to do if you have done this swap. Thank you

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry for another thread on a 302 swap but I have a few questions. The 2.8 in my 85 bronco 2 may have finally given up on life and I don't want to wast any time replacing a boat anchor. I have a guy willing to get me a 302 and c4 tranny for 600 which is about all I can afford at the time. What else would I need and will it bolt up to my t case ? Oh and one last thing I'm going from manual to auto so will there be any complication there? Thank you for the tips and please feel free to explain what you had to do if you have done this swap. Thank you
If you find a 4x4 C5 out of a RBV you can swap the back end of it onto your C4. Otherwise out of the box no, they will not just bolt together. Will need a shifter and preferably a different set of pedals.

For the engine, it really depends on what it is for an engine. Figure exhaust at a minimum. Going to need to help with the cooling system for sure. Wiring and fuel system are up in the air depending on what the engine is.

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Okay so the 302 is out of a 1978 granada along with the c4. So what your saying is that I would need to make a c4/c5 sort of Frankenstein transmition. Also for pedals I would swap to either an ranger or bronco set the same generation as mine and for electrical and fuel I would want to keep it as stock as possible with the exception of running a fuel cell and pump for a 302

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you would need to make it a frankintranny. That is more or less what mine is.

Or find a different one, either a 4wd AOD (automatic overdrive) out of a fullsize or a M5OD (5speed manual) out of a 97-08 4.2 F-150 (and all the clutch stuff and separator plate) Would also need a fullsize t-case.

Driveshafts will be required no matter what you do.

Pedals are out of similar year, not a biggy.

Fuel add an electric fuel pump, they don't need much. I have a $50 12S (I think) Mr Gasket pump and it works great. A little wiring for an ignition and you should be good to go... with all the 130 ponies that engine will put out.

Swaps are very rewarding... but are not cheap or quick to do. :dunno:

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Your gonna need a dual sump oil pan, oil filter relocation kit, motor mounts and then all the little extra odds and ends that follow doing these swaps. Its not as easy as just pulling the stock motor out and installing the 302. You could make the C-4 work, but your gonna have to either get a adapter for the stock Transfer case or try and find a Dana 20 out of a early Bronco or F-100 (if you go with the 20 make sure it is the 4hi/4lo version. They also came with just 2wd hi and 4wd hi). For the 20 you would also need the tail adapter for the C-4. You also gonna have to make/find a cross member for the T-case (I used a early Bronco cross member that I modified to work).

As far as the pedals go, just use what you have. My Ranger was a 4spd and I just wired the clutch pedal down on the floor (its out of the way and I never notice it).

I use the in tank fuel pump (my tank is out of a 87/88 Ranger, so its the low pressure electric) and I run a pressure regulator (Mr. Gasket, adjustable). I got all new sending units and the stock gauges all work correctly.

I used a B&M mega Truck shifter in mine.

I had custom drive shafts made Dana 20 on one end and Dana35/8.8 on the respected other, that are correct lengths.

Like 85 said, a 302 swap is not the place to try and skrimp by. Do them right and it will work, cut corners and your gonna have a giant pile of no good parts.

Last edited:

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I don't want to cut any corners and just throw in a Moter and then have to re do it all over again I want something reliable and done right that's why I have these questions I want to know the easiest and best way to go about it so that brings me to another question should or even would a c4/c5 be best or find another tranny? And yes I do know I'm going to need the conversion parts as a oil sump and what not but I am wanting to start getting the big pieces like engin and transmition and then start doing the small things

chayse brooks

Reaction score
As for the t case is the Dana 20 my only option unless I use a different transmition. And for the cross member I could make one I have all the tools to weld it up and cut it so it shouldn't be to hard

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
If you want to see what doing it wrong looks like check out my build. worthless brackets, hoopty left block set up, horrid drive shaft angles, and one serious cooling pita.
I bought mine like that for cheap and I'm fighting it all I have a brand new aod with the adapter for the bw 1350 Manuel shift the worst part about this trans set up is the TV cable would not recommend it its a massive pain. Check out James Duff they have some v8 swap stuff your best plan is to make a list of all the issues your gonna face like exhaust. PS, etc and just gather parts

Edit: parts places that have swap specific: James Duff ,advance adapters and, summit racing I'm sure there's more but you can start there

Last edited:

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Okay I'll check it out and thanks for the places to look for parts that's really helpful

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
No the Dana 20 is not your only option. They used to make adapters to use the stock cases (dont know if they still do or not) there are many other T-cases out there that others have used. I went with the 20 mainly because I run a C-6 and it was narrow enough to clear the radius arms for the front driveshaft. I tried the 1356 that came out of the F-150 that I got the tranny out of, but I couldn't put a front driveshaft in (it would hit the radius arms) I also went with the D20 because if I can ever afford the Atlas II it would be bolt in.
I did a lot of planning when I first got the idea of a V-8 swap in mine (about a year) and then another year of just getting parts together. I did mine back in 2000 and even then I didnt follow the regular swaps (mainly the C-6/Dana 20 combo. There is a lot more info/build sheets on the swap nowdays (i used mainly the MRC swap book when I did mine).

Best thing is if your not sure, do exactly like your doing and look at others builds and ask questions.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
:agree: and I wish I would have done more reading before I bought my truck. Right now I'm just singling out issues and reading about them and doing the best I can to solve them and what looks right also my builds 87 single cab sas in off-road rangers under construction I'd post the link but my phone blows

Last edited:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Unless that 78 engine has been modified for power, I wouldn't use it. I think they had 140hp at best and were boat anchors too. A roller block 5.0 is the way to go, 85+ in the years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals