• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 Rad-differences between explorer radiators

madasmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, I went out to the scrap yard and bought a rad for a 97 explorer. I have heard of people using this rad and thought it would be a good idea however, I ran into some problems with this rad being so big. I got fed up of trying to fit the larger rad that I did more research......and the answer is the 91-94 rad from the explorer...... The scrap yard didn't want to exchange the rad so they gave me a discount on the smaller rad. Thought I'd post some pics of the problems I encountered using the 97 explorer rad.

Rad is way too tall....unless you want a broken rad within a couple minutes of off-roading, this was even with an angle towards the rear of the truck.

Even with the rad installed, the rad out let is being blocked. I'm sure there's a way around it, but don't really have the time since the truck was my DD.

Thought I'd include a photo of the size difference.
Hope this helps anyone who is fitting a rad for the 302.
I'll post up some more pics soon, when the smaller rad is in.

Chris

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is that lump of something that is blocking the outlet? Mine has nothing like that under there.

They are a bugger to pull in JY's, they sure feel shoehorned in there. I wondered how they would fit in an older truck, after seeing the pics I wonder how a 3" bodylift would play into it...

FWIW they changed the core supports somewhere around '96, they bolt in those trucks like the 91-94 Explorer radiators bolt in the 83-95ish trucks.

Last edited:

madasmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The lump thing goes across from one side of the frame to the other. I think is to brace the frame rails, it's infront of the crossmember.

Yeah the truck has no body or suspension lift. It would definitely make it easier with a body lift for sure, but I wanted to keep the ranger stock-looking.

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Post Hijack!! Sorry but Im currently running into the same problem with my 302 swap.. That 97' Xpolder Rad is a beast to fit in.. Can someone tell me what the 91-94 Explorer rad is (3-4core) and that it will mount into the ranger without problems? Also, what cfm e-fan I will need to cool my carb'd 302 w/out AC?

And 85Ranger4x4 - Is a 96' Xplorer rad the smaller version that you mention? And I assume these are for a 4.0L exploer? What about a 4.0L ranger rad what is the difference between the ranger's 3.0L and 4.0L rads??

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 91-94 Explorer (A/C, Automatic, 4dr) is a two row radiatior, basically it is twice the thickness of the stock radiator. It bolts right in the older trucks. '95+ Explorers use the bigger style radiator.

I have a 2500CFM pusher, it is adaquate so far. Hopefully when I get rid of the pinging from excessive compression it does better. Pushers are less effecient than a puller however so you need more CFM to do the same.

madasmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem was, I cut out the original radiator support for the larger 97 explorer radiator. However, my motor was mounted slightly towards the front, so i would have had to modify that support anyways.

I'm not too sure if there is a difference between the 3.0L and the 4.0L radiators for the ranger, they are the same size that's for sure (both single core). Just checked out autopartswarehouse, they have 2 radiators a single and a double row radiator, I was able to find a double row. You should have no problems fitting this radiator in, I'll post some pics when i'm done mounting the radiator (hopefully later today)

CraKel

February 2010 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.OH
Transmission
Automatic
Ok ya i looked on rockauto and they list a 4.0l rad for both ranger and explorer w ac hd is a 2 row and 3/8" smaller on width but double the thickness. So thats what ill be using.

My friend helping with the swap has nothing good to say about efans all his experiences in mr2s and skylines have failed. i have a 1100 cfm puller right now. Get one more and well see how that works out.

Thx for the help as usual
Ck

madasmonkey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is a pic of the new radiator support.

I took the old brackets and found some box tubing that i had laying around and it just happened to be just a perfect fit after welding on the old brackets. :icon_welder:

Got302ci

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The problem you guys are having is the 97 explorer rad's only work in 99 up rangers!!!

That metal piece blocking the rad outlet in the pic is part of the TTB suspension bracing, the 99 up rangers have a exploder front end so to speak and a explorer rad bolts right in.........

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem you guys are having is the 97 explorer rad's only work in 99 up rangers!!!

That metal piece blocking the rad outlet in the pic is part of the TTB suspension bracing, the 99 up rangers have a exploder front end so to speak and a explorer rad bolts right in.........
They changed the core support before that, I think around '96.

Mine does not have that bracket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals