• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 header problem

greenstranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hi im getting toward the end of my swap and im having major issues finding headers that work i got a set of headmans that were supposed to be for this swap but they didnt clear the steering shaft or the passenger side frame rail then i tried a set of explorer manifolds which cleared everything but the spark plug wires and boots because the plugs are on a different angle than an explorer so does anyone know if they make either a set of shorties or long tubes that will work and clear all the problem areas thanks jim....:icon_confused:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
what are your header model #s? 89500? There's a header thread in the V8 section that has some decent pictures of fitment/different options. Tri-ys if you don't have the 164 tooth bell (like an AOD) would be a good option for 2wd (are you 4wd???). What engine mounts did you use?

greenstranger89

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its an 84 motor out of a mustang into a 2wd 89 xlt ranger t5 tranny with the convertible mounts and advanced adapters motor plates and yes they are the 89500

Last edited:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The 89500s should fit, I used aa plates with those headers also. But I used Bronco 302 mounts and not the convertible mounts. It was a tight fit, but it did fit. Redoing mine, going with t-5 and tri-ys - would be worth while looking into. Will see if I can't find a pic of the driver's side Hedman header when I get back from the grocery store, g/f is looking at me ready to go now lol.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Only pic I can find. Pic was during the swap (was "done" and driveable) but due to body rust, just tore the whole truck apart - motor is going in a cleaner white '87, wish I could get a better pic for you.

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Sorry to jack the thread, but what radiator and hoses are you using?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's a 2-row explorer radiator. I cut out the bottom of the core support and trimmed up. The top hose part number is 61037. Bottom hose is half '93 Mustang (top to fit the water pump) spliced into an LTD hose. Can't remember what year LTD, but I am going to do something different there. Hard because the lower hose outlet angles down. Piece of angle iron worked out ok as a base between the frame rails:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals