• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 engine help

taco

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I have an 85 ranger with what I believe to be an 83 mustang 302 in it. Ever since I bought the truck (after the swap was done) it has been a disaster, when I was just looking for a small project. The last time I started it, about 4 months ago, I had to turn the idle WAY up just to get the engine to fire, and now it is firing up and just dieing right away. after I adjusted the idle a few times it wouldn't even turn over. I was wondering for a possible solution to this. I have checked and it is not a vacuum leak. It also went through about a gallon and a half of gas in about 30 seconds with just the fuel pump running and no leaks in the fuel line. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume a carburetor on '83?
'84 Mustang was first year of optional fuel injection, I think

And for spark you are using.........??
Distributor with TFI, HEI, Duraspark?

Reads like float's valve is stuck open(or not adjusted) and gas is overflowing into the intake.

"It also went through about a gallon and a half of gas in about 30 seconds with just the fuel pump running"

If you have an electric fuel pump it should not run when engine is not running, if you do have a carb then you could fill a cylinder with gas and hydro-lock the engine, bending or breaking piston and rod.
That's the reason to use mechanical fuel pump or run electric fuel pump power thru Oil Pressure switch relay, so no power unless there is oil pressure(engine running)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals