• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 dead spot need help!

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey i have a 302 i recently swapped into my ranger.. when i hit the gas full throttle starting from 850rpms(idle) it takes like a full second literally before it kicks in and doesnt have "great" throttle response compared to others ive heard and the whole deacceleration back down its popping sorta bad out the headers.............all the parts installed are gilmer belt drive,parker 3 intake,i think either 500 or 600 edelbrock carb,and procomp plug n play distributor...the rest are either stock or dont improve performance like valve covers and stuff...and forgot to mention the very front driver side intake bolt is removed right now so it could be put in time.....please respond and let me know if these are nothin to worry about or how to fix them......the truck can be seen running here........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV4oxoI_0kg

Last edited:

lairdt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Carb's not tuned right. Move the accel pump arm to the hole at the far end of the arm and see how it does. Run through the Edelbrock tuning guide and you'll get things figured out.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for replying i wasn't sure if that intake was just too much for a stock motor or not and the headers arent on the motor right now or i would test that so i guess im bout to spend my night on google lol

Last edited:

Dan B.

January 2012 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
387 Windsor
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Watch out on that dizzy also......seen more than one of those procomp's be a source of many headaches. Also had one come apart with less than 20 miles on it.

88ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is the carb new? i have the procomp distributor on mine and havnet had any problems yet.. but i am rebuilding another motor so we'll see how it acts then.. def sounds like a carb problem however.. good luck

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
Sounds to me as if the distributor is one tooth off.:icon_idea:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the carb looked new but was bought off a guy so dont know and the same guy put the distributor in and said the time was perfect but idk how accurate his "perfect" is so i was thinkin maybe somethin with the procomp but never even considered it bein a carb problem and now that sounds like a pretty good idea i just dont wanna mess with carb settings or timing myself as those two aren't what i like to play around with.....i messed with a screw on a carb one time...it never ran the same again lol i've learned more about them well more about edelbrock but still......

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the carb looked new but was bought off a guy so dont know and the same guy put the distributor in and said the time was perfect but idk how accurate his "perfect" is so i was thinkin maybe somethin with the procomp but never even considered it bein a carb problem and now that sounds like a pretty good idea i just dont wanna mess with carb settings or timing myself as those two aren't what i like to play around with.....i messed with a screw on a carb one time...it never ran the same again lol i've learned more about them well more about edelbrock but still......
They are pretty simple once you get on to them. I played with that accel pump lever and it made a flat spot unless it was in the "right" place. It is pretty easy to adjust, Edelbrock has movies on youtube detailing how to fiddle with it.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yea i think ima watch a couple videos of them before messin around and if im thinkin of the same thing my accel pump arm has 3 holes you can set it to and its on the one at the top where the pump is all the way out so when i put the headers on it im gonna see how it acts threw each hole if that doesnt help maybe the 2 air/fuel screws on the front?(with video help)...and lastly maybe mark the dist where its at and move it slightly left/right and see if it runs better.Do you guys think thats the best way to go about it?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
and lastly maybe mark the dist where its at and move it slightly left/right and see if it runs better.Do you guys think thats the best way to go about it?
Use a timing light, it takes a ton of experiance to time an engine by ear :icon_thumby:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Use a timing light, it takes a ton of experiance to time an engine by ear :icon_thumby:
i hear that this is my very first build and ive learned more about the ford v8 smallblock then ive ever known about any other engines but didnt really wanna push my luck with tryin to learn about timing....if the problem isnt in the carb ima take it to somebody more professional for that....soon as the truck is capable of drivin down the road without killin me in exaust fumes!

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
If you're putting out lots of fumes you have a fuel burning issue. The timing is off, probably way retarded, and you're running an incorrect fuel/air mixture. Tune the carb, set the timing. Leave lots of rubber on the road.

Rotagotideas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
play with the carb a little bit and ditto on the procomp dizzy

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're putting out lots of fumes you have a fuel burning issue. The timing is off, probably way retarded, and you're running an incorrect fuel/air mixture. Tune the carb, set the timing. Leave lots of rubber on the road.
thanks for your reply i guess i shouldve mentioned the fumes bein real bad and it feeling like a really loud 4 cylinder on the road i just thought it was because i still had the 7.5 rear end (probably still has a little to do with it) but now im glad i finally joined this site after just visiting it a billion times lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thanks for your reply i guess i shouldve mentioned the fumes bein real bad and it feeling like a really loud 4 cylinder on the road i just thought it was because i still had the 7.5 rear end (probably still has a little to do with it) but now im glad i finally joined this site after just visiting it a billion times lol
7.5 doesn't have anything to do with it.

Open headers... even the best running EFI engine will stink up the cab.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals