• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 and T5 questions

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I just noticed your NH zip code. A 1999 vehicle under 8600 gvw needs to pass OBD II inspection by the Gordon Darby unit, an engine swap- even from a 99 or newer Explorer with all the emissions controls intact- will not pass because the VIN in the PCM has to match the registration. That's why I bought a 93 for my 351 swap. As for the transmission, I much prefer a T5 over an M5OD and the extra work to fabricate clutch actuation doesn't scare me a bit. Hurst has a work around for your bench seat, too.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I would just rent a car for prom and take my time on this project. One month is not very long, unless you are spending like 10+ hrs a day on this.

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
i have a driveshaft that mates with the T5 and the 8.8 with about 2 or so inches of “adjustability” before it bottoms out on the output of the T5, i want to say it’s an explorer driveshaft but it could be from the ranger, not sure. but it pairs to both so now the only question is length

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I would just rent a car for prom and take my time on this project. One month is not very long, unless you are spending like 10+ hrs a day on this.
this project has been in the works for 3+ months, it will be a rolling chassis by the end of this week i will post more photos but this has been in motion for a while and i’d really like to see it happen, i have a month to make the drivetrain function other then that everything else is mostly figured out

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
I just noticed your NH zip code. A 1999 vehicle under 8600 gvw needs to pass OBD II inspection by the Gordon Darby unit, an engine swap- even from a 99 or newer Explorer with all the emissions controls intact- will not pass because the VIN in the PCM has to match the registration. That's why I bought a 93 for my 351 swap. As for the transmission, I much prefer a T5 over an M5OD and the extra work to fabricate clutch actuation doesn't scare me a bit. Hurst has a work around for your bench seat, too.View attachment 75433
i’m using a carbureted engine there’s no ecm at all, i do like the idea of a bucket seat so this is my excuse lolll. i’m also on the same page about the clutch slave

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
With no PCM at all it won't pass inspection, period. If a tech plugs the Gordon Darby unit into another vehicle to get an emissions pass code, he'll be able to generate a sticker but he'll end up at a DMV hearing and lose his inspection license. Please don't spend a bunch of money building a truck you won't be able to drive. I did state inspections from 1972 until 2017, I'm not trying to scare you, I'm trying to prevent you wasting money.

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
With no PCM at all it won't pass inspection, period. If a tech plugs the Gordon Darby unit into another vehicle to get an emissions pass code, he'll be able to generate a sticker but he'll end up at a DMV hearing and lose his inspection license. Please don't spend a bunch of money building a truck you won't be able to drive. I did state inspections from 1972 until 2017, I'm not trying to scare you, I'm trying to prevent you wasting money.
i’m not to worried about it, there always that once place that’ll lick and stick but cops in my area are pretty lax and she’s not gonna be driven too much

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Looks like New Hampshire has a "rolling" year for passing emissions test, seen here: https://nhinspect.com/faq/

20 years and newer need to be tested and need to pass, so at this time 2002 Vehicles and newer need to pass OBD test
So 1999 shouldn't need to pass emissions test

Safety inspection is another thing, ALL vehicles regardless of year need this
What's inspected seen here: https://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/dmv/registration/inspections-emissions/index.htm

It does list OBD system so not sure if that would be an issue if there is no OBD to inspect?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
i’m not to worried about it, there always that once place that’ll lick and stick but cops in my area are pretty lax and she’s not gonna be driven too much
I still have an inspection license and don't want to know who's operating like that. I wish you luck but I don't think it will fly.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Occasionally I will hear through the grapevine of a exceptional deal on a 4x4 truck. Then you find out it has a 6 inch lift on it. If it's too high it won't pass in Va either. Some young guy spent several of his pay checks online to put the lift and big tires on it, only to drive it for a few months and then learn it won't pass inspection.

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
i just looked it up and anything 20 years or older is emissions exempt

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I posted

But still needs an inspection, applies to any year vehicle, basically a "Road Worthy" certificate

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
That's what I posted

But still needs an inspection, applies to any year vehicle, basically a "Road Worthy" certificate
yeah i mean she’s getting new everything, i don’t see how it could fault anything other then emissions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In Calif I have heard/read some stories about V8s in vehicles that never had factory V8s
Mostly to do with frame and brakes because of the weight difference

289/302s tip the scales at 460lbs

The 4.0l OHV was at least 400lbs, 4.0l SOHC maybe 430lbs same frames as the 4cyls at 350lbs

But something about V6 vs V8 and weight that just sets peoples bells off, lol

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is what I dine as well as others...
Get a Regar can 4 cyl driveshaft. Fits perfect on stock suspension.
Use Rick's swap plates with either the 3.0 or 4.0 ranger mounts. I also used Rick's transmission ccrossmember.You don't have to but it looks so.much better!!
Hydraulics for the t5....

1980(ish) 280 z slave. They say a 92 ford turbo probe slave works better.
2000 f550 clutch master. It does NOT just click in the bracket. The bracket has to be widened

20201222_081436.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals