• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302/289 Swap into 88 2.9L V6 Ranger

WhiteBread16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Hey everyone,
I've just got a couple general questions relating to a V8 swap for my ranger. First off the main reason I'm typing this out is cause I just want to get some insight on if this will work or not and what else I may need. Anyway back to the topic at hand...

So I have 2 (actually 3) choices of engines that I can use for the swap. (The 3rd being a 351W but don't want to use that one, cause probably won't be better than the 302/289 speed wise).

Alright so I have a choice between a 289 and a 302, both from mustangs my old man and my uncle scrapped when they were teens. Well if I did the swap to either one, I would need a transmission to match up too right? Well my grandpa (my old man's old man) happens to have a couple C4, C5, and a C6 transmission laying around. But I want to keep the manual transmission (for obvious reasons).

Well while looking around in gramps' building, I came across a T-5 transmission from my old man's mustang gt. So if I'm correct, I'm pretty sure one of those engines came out of that same exact car, so I can pretty much match all that up. Now what I want to know is besides modifying the engine compartment, new suspension, rear end gears/rear end, what else will I need???

My ranger is already a manual with an M5OD trans and it's 2WD so is there anything else that I should look into. Thanks for any insight anyone may have, it's greatly appreciated.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: BD8D9A3814E19D Expires July 5th, 2022

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Make damn sure they match, you don't want a 28oz balance engine with a 50oz balance flywheel.

Read around the V8 section and the tech library, been covered many times, on many forums. The only advise I can give is to just do it. You will need "a lot" of stuff. Start with mounts, cooling, 90degree oil filter relocation kit, and headers so you can start test fitting in your drive train.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Start by reading the "sticky" threads at the top of the V8 forum thread list. Then come back and ask questions (if you still have them) If you're unwilling to do this simple step, you'll never complete a swap and end up with another pile of parts to add to what you've got already with the 289/302 stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad