• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3 months of hell

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so, I get some extra time on my hands and start rippin' into the truck. theres been about 1000 little things that needed to be fixed, most notably the rad support.so, hear we go. Bought a tool from snap on to drill out the welds..120 bucks and worth every penny. As I remove more and more parts i find more and more "little" things. To my surprise I discover the why and how regarding the mystery water that suddenly appears after a hard rain.... Turns out there is a hole below either corner of the windshield,under the cowel, and water is runind down the A pillar and pooling on the floor...isnt that nice? I decided that for the time being that project is somthing I dont have time for and will have to pay a shop to hack it apart and fix what needs fixin. So no i get the new rad support.... Looks like the old one....without the holes and cracks that is..... Then i attempt to put it in. After 4 cut off wheels and another week I manage to get it in. I should mention Im doing this work out side after my 8-6 job working in a AG shop for john deere. Anyone who turns a wrench for a living will know when I mean when I say that a project like this is the last thing I wanna get into. so, im almost done, decided to get some cool lookin lights from evil bay, when they arive they not only has a poor fit but the supplied hardwhere is junk and the product was un finished lol. I had to get the die grinder going and make locking slots for the bulb retaining ring that screws onto the rear of the housing. Think twice befor dealing with ZEN motorsports....

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I know what ya mean....I like my 3 day weekends, I need a day off before I feel like working on my own crap....sounds like your having fun! haha

-andrew

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ya, fun like driving nails in my eyes lol. Im slowly finishing things up. Got the lights in finaly they look sweet but Im not sure if it was worth the bs. Im never dealing with that ebay store again. its like there assembly and packaging department is being run by a bunch of blind ppl.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...I know what you mean, but I don't turn wrenches for a living (legally)...But I started my Ranger project in 2004 and all those little things (loL) just had to be done...and now that my Ranger is 99% complete I may have to sell it just because I got laid off and need to find another, ahem, wrench turning job in the computer field...

But if your Ranger has the water torture feature, I'd say a shop is the best place to take it for that...my first one had that and a wonky firewall that for some reason couldn't support my clutch pedal...and about six million other things that went wrong...

But I love my Ranger...moneypity (like James Bond's secretary Moneypenny)...only mine isn't quite so good looking right now...

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...my first one had that and a wonky firewall that for some reason couldn't support my clutch pedal...and about six million other things that went wrong...
You are only the third person I know that had that problem--myself and Joel H. being the other lucky pair.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I know what you mean Ranger5.0, thats why my frame on resto has taken me nearly two years now (and will take me untill at least next summer). Just don't have the motivation to do anything to it most days.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ya, Im having some serious motivation issues lol. I POR-15'd the floors last year and when i got cleaning inside yesterday I noticed that I could peel the por-15 right off with my hands..anyone run into an issue like that? I folowed the directions and didnt use it over old paint.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
ya, Im having some serious motivation issues lol. I POR-15'd the floors last year and when i got cleaning inside yesterday I noticed that I could peel the por-15 right off with my hands..anyone run into an issue like that? I folowed the directions and didnt use it over old paint.
well to be honest, POR-15 is nothing but a gimmick. You can do the same thing with epoxy primer. Try sanding the substrate and reapplying it. It doesn't really totally stop rust either, it might slow it down because its so damn thick, but its still gonna come back.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what is this epoxy primer? to be honest Im starting to thing tremclad products are better then por 15......Im planing on that stuff this time.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so has anyone delt with zen motorsports? im just curious if my issue was a common thing with ebay products or if It was a one in a thousand thing. I got myself the black projector headlights. The hardwear sucked o bad that I ended up using the original stuff from the stock headlights. That didnt piss me off as much as the light housing not having the slots for the locking tabs to hold the lights in lol.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
what is this epoxy primer? to be honest Im starting to thing tremclad products are better then por 15......Im planing on that stuff this time.
Its primer. Its direct to metal, meaning you don't need a etching primer underneath of it, and its pretty tough stuff...but it requires a spraygun, and it takes a hardener.

so has anyone delt with zen motorsports? im just curious if my issue was a common thing with ebay products or if It was a one in a thousand thing. I got myself the black projector headlights. The hardwear sucked o bad that I ended up using the original stuff from the stock headlights. That didnt piss me off as much as the light housing not having the slots for the locking tabs to hold the lights in lol.
I've never dealt with Zen motorsports, but I've had problems like this in the past. You get what you pay for sometimes, and sometimes you just get screwed.

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
awe, I see. Sounds like more then i have time for....Do you know of anything in a rattle can that will do a decent job?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals