• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.8 - 4.2 in to ranger??

ex91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i dont think i will but the 3.8 is not that bad of a engine they had there probs btu look at how many where mad i think im going to supercharger my 3.0 with my a trim but 3.8 would be easy if i could find some motor mounts.

91exploreron37

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Besies motor mounts, what about headers, wiring harness, will you be able to get to the oil filter, etc... Yea I dont think it'll be worth it either. Whats wrong with the 4.0 or SOHC 4.0.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you guys, the 3.8 was used in RWD form in the mustangs and thunderbirds. the bellhousings are different but its the same engine. all the RWD stuff already exists (headers/manifolds, wiring harness, motor mounts, etc.). this swap wouldnt be THAT big of a deal to perform.

its just not worth the measily power numbers the 3.8 puts out when compared to an even easier 4.0 swap.

ex91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
true the 4.0 sohc is a nice motor i have one in my mustang great on fuel

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 4.2 will run circles around the 4.0 though. I've driven F150/4.2s with manual trannies that were WAY more fun to drive than any 4.0 I've driven. I haven't had a chance to run a 3.8 split port yet but, I know they are better than the reg 3.8.
I'm still looking for a deal on a 4.2. As soon as I find one I have a Ranger waiting. If I find a split port I might do that just to be different.
From what i've seen of the FWD 3.8s the mounting bosses on the side seam to be similar to the 3.0. The 3.0 mounts might bolt, at least close enough to make fit. As soon as I get a chance I'll measure it up but, that won't be soon.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
just to add to this i was looking into a 3.8 fwd as well but since i have the 3.0 block im going to build it up instead. if my block is skrewd then ill go w/ a 3.8, but back to what i was saying...morana v6 offers for the 3.8 a 4.2, 4.3, and 4.4 stroker kit as a 4.2 ford (f150 motor) is a stroker 3.8. i was looking into this as well when i was digging around for stuff for my 3.0, and ran across this stuff and thought it would be kewl, then i found out the bellhousing dont match. since i found out the fwd 3.8 will fit however, again if my block is skrewd i may just try it...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
mounts are easy to fabricate, if thats the only problem then get it done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals