Finally, the weather has been decent the last couple of days and I have made progress.
I had bought the wiring diagram book for the ranger a while ago (april I think?) and I have been studying it, learning the circuits, taking notes, fulling understanding the electrical in the ranger. I feel like I studied that stupid book more than any class I took in college. Finally, on Sunday evening, it was time for the final exam. Fortunately it was open book
! Now the harness is stripped of anything for the old 2.5L, it will all get replaced with the new wire harness that came with the power pack. The plug for the new harness is wired in as well. Had to feed it a run/start wire, a start wire, a run/acc wire, an AC request wire, and finally hook it up into the wire harness for the fuel pump. It also has some aux power wires, but I didn't end up using them, an extra CAN hi-low pair in case a vehicle controller needs them (I am thinking about using them with a digital dash though), and a "clean tach signal" wire. My ranger doesn't have a tach, but a friend of mine was scrapping out his ranger so I bought his Bed, Tilt steering wheel, and gauge cluster for $350.
With the wiring done, I put the dash back in place. I put my steering column back in so I could start mocking up my steering, but before I could make real progress, my McLeod clutch line showed up and I just had to see if it fit. That was a huge pain to get done, I tried to massage the floor to make it fit, but ended up ripping a hole in the sheet metal (pry bars will do that). Since I already had to repair holes, I just made them larger so I could actually get my hand in there to install the fitting. The fitting is on the slave cylinder, the line is in the master, I am waiting for the exhaust to route the line and then I have a clutch.
I did get back to the steering though, and it's mocked up. Need to make a permanent bracket for it thought. There are a lot of rubber components in the suspension near by, and from experience, I know the frame has a bunch of seam sealer or glue or something that doesn't like heat, so I am trying to avoid welding on the frame. So that leaves me with two options. The mostly likely correct way, and the way I am going to do it.
The correct way would be to remove the upper control arm, make a plate that bolts to the back of the upper control arm mounts, and then use my bulk-head bearing to support the shaft. The way am actually going to support the steering shaft is a bracket that comes of just the from control arm mount, then bolts to the top of the frame with a nutsert and call it good enough.
This is about what it will look like, except the bearing will be closer to the silver U-joint. Didn't even need to cut a hole in the fire wall to make it work.
Oh, because I am getting ready to start on the Air Intake/Charge Air Cooler/Radiator soon. I needed the little rubber bushing to hold the coolers in place. Except ford wanted like $15 bucks a piece for them (at least for the radiator, couldn't find any for the intercooler). So I went on McMaster-Carr, found the ONE type that would fit the post on the coolers and bought those... $1.80. https://www.mcmaster.com/64865k87
I am trying really hard to not pull the engine again... I might make it, but we will have to see.