• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3/4 ton brakes on F150 D44

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
^^^those guys, not trail gear.... my bad!

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Trail worthy fab does recentered H1's with double bead locks. Really good wheels, I recommend them if you want to run mil tires or you'll have to get good at remounting a tire on the trail. Mil tires don't have a safety bead and will come off the rim if under inflated.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
The rim has the safety bead not the tires. Those don't normally have anything because they are 16.5" tires. I just run mine tubed doesn't really matter if I loose a bead.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tube as in inner tube? Will that keep the bead on the wheel at low psi? I meant that the bead on the tire is round not flat like a normal tire. It will come off on a non bead locked wheel at low psi.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Tube as in inner tube? Will that keep the bead on the wheel at low psi? I meant that the bead on the tire is round not flat like a normal tire. It will come off on a non bead locked wheel at low psi.

The bead is flat. I have a set. They are not any different than any other tire.

As for the tube it works the same as a bike tube...

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I know plenty of people running mil tires on standard 16.5 rims and have had no issue at around 20 psi with no beadlocks or screws.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you can find a mid-late 70's 3/4 ton D44, you can swap the brake caliper bracket directly onto an F150 knuckle. Actually you can swap any of it, the bolt pattern for the 3/4 ton spindle is exactly the same.

The issue you will run into is that since the 3/4 ton rotor is much larger, you won't be able to use your 1/2 ton rotor. This is solved by using your 1/2 ton spindle and a late model Dodge front brake rotor. A buddy of mine did this exact setup on a Jeep. There was some minor machine work that had to be done to the rotor I believe, but otherwise it is a bitchin setup and you gain dual piston calipers with the 3/4 ton stuff.

One other thing of note is that you CANNOT put 1/2 ton brakes on a 3/4 ton knuckle without doing major reconstructive surgery to the knuckle. The caliper won't even come close to fitting. Just FYI, I had a set of flat top knuckles from a 3/4 ton D44 that I considered using but it's way too much work for a modified knuckle that is potentially dangerous.

I know plenty of people running mil tires on standard 16.5 rims and have had no issue at around 20 psi with no beadlocks or screws.

I know a few people too, the problem is that military tires are very stiff and the rubber compound is very hard. Really bad choice for offroad tires. Better to go with a different tire if you REALLY want 16.5's, OR just do it once and do it RIGHT and get 17" wheels.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Picked up t bird calipers and F350 master. I think I am going to stick with 35s for a while. I like the gearing as it sits. Nice for dd and weekend wheeling. 4.56s may still be in the near future though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals