• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3/4 shift solonoid

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
ok i have an 88 stx with the a4ld. first thing when i take off it shifts normal. then after about 3 miles it kicks out of o/d pulled codes and get a 3/4 shift solonoid . so how do i check this?

Blankstar85

Reaction score
Not really sure how to check it But the stupid selenoid is in the tranny, which means pulling the pan and the valve body to get to it.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
somebody has to know how to test this :( i havent been able to find a fsm for 88 and the Haynes doesn't cover it. looked at a Haynes tranny rebuild manual and it covered everything BUT the a4ld

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2/4 shift solenoid

Ebay has a couple different rebuild/troubleshooting manuals strictly for the A4LD trans for about $10.00 each. I bought one for reference when rebuilding my trans and it had about two dozen pages of troubleshooting charts and detailed instructions on checking each solenoid. Just search "A4LD manual". Hope this helps.

trochia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cocoa, Interested in reading the troubleshooting charts and making a couple of bucks to help pay for the book?.. I really don't have time to wait for it to get mailed.. :-(

Vehicle: 1993 Aerostar AWD A4LD
Problem: Don't move...up and stopped moving when pulling into the driveway. ( no previous signs ( noises/slippage )
Fluid level fine.
Mileage 181k, and serviced at 173k and all was fine...nice fluid and no magnetic "stuff" in pan.
Engine: runs fine
NOT: The shifting linkage...as it shifts...holds "park" etc

History:

Trans serviced 174k... at 174.5k November-2006 I moved from Montana to Mpls, MN... another 1,200 miles and no problems. ( now at 175.7k )

11/06 - 4/07 Racked up all the rest of the mile except for 350 of them ( 180.6k ) Then moved 2 blocks from work from 5/1/07 - 8/3/07 and only drove maybe 150 miles..

8/3 move to Wisconsin 350 mile trip... Pull into freinds auto shop ( mainly GM guys, no Ford electrical code checking ability, and they don't do transmissions )

At this point, I noticed a very small trans fluid leak between block/trans... maybe 4" round... Checked fluid...still fine... He gave me sealer/conditioner...but I didn't put it in.

Sits a few days...no leaks...drive a few miles...still OK... then, drive into town...make it back out...and dies ( no more movement..no sounds etc) in drive.

Only thing is, that when I went on the 3.5 round trip, is that when I started out...the airbag light was flashing.

Have read all posts here on this site, and can't seem to find an exact problem...

Have read all:

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/AutoTransFix/A4LD_Fix.htm &
http://home.att.net/~performance2800/A4LD.html

Problem also = Ford dealership closed up 2-3 days before this...

Any thoughts anyonbe?

Thx in advance

Jim

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
NOTE: this is a response from me to another post in this section.... After looking over wiring drawings and testing... and probing, I finally broke down and had a code scan done. This may not be your problem, but my problem was in the ECU. Turns out that my computer was not working correctly and not shifting from 3 to 4. If you have a spare one hanging around, maybe try plugging it in and see if that cures your issue. If not, it's rather easy to figure out. First step, confirm you have power (12V) coming from the center connection (red wire) of the three pin plug on the left side of the transmission with the key in the run position and engine off. If you have power there, then check the other two leads for continuity. The coloring on the connection is the same as the colors on the computer plug in. These two leads are located next to each other. Mine were a brown wire with a light blue tracer and a white wire. If you have continuity in these wires (no breaks) odds are, you have either a faulty shift solenoid or a faulty ECU. Remember, this is just MY EXPERIENCE. Your problem may be different.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals