• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L to 4.0L

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Long story short I've had my 1999 3.0L 4x4 ranger for almost 3 years now, and I have done 3 motor swaps already. Always swapping another 3.0 into it. For the last time I killed another one. I'm all done with 3.0's. I was going to do a 302 swap, but decided on a more cost efficient 4.0L swap. I have a complete donor vehicle. My question, I've heard mixed things... Will the 4.0 motor bolt up to my 3.0 transmission. It's a 5 speed standard. T5? Either way I don't want to have to put the automatic that's in the donor vehicle into my truck.

Also, kind of obviously but looking for re-assurance here, I also need the wiring/computer/harness from the donor vehicle, yes? Will it plug and play with the plugs that are already under the hood? Or do I have to change out all the connectors?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Repeating an answer that I give on here almost daily lately, so I am not certain of your search skills nor you confusion....

NO NO NO NO MF NO! The 3.0 and 4.0 do NOT, 155% NOT share a trans bell pattern and your existing transmission will equally NOT bolt to a 4.0.

And it isn't a T5. Ranger's never had a T5. Mustangs had a T5. Ranger's are trucks, not little girl wanna-be muscle cars. You have an M5OD.

Yes, you need the engine/trans wiring and computer.

Frankly, for the amount of work you already have to do, do the 5.0 swap.

The rest of your questions can't be answered until you tell us what year your donor truck is.

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the donor vehicle is a 2001 explorer. and i was just confirming the transmission thing, i was pretty sure already that they wouldn't bolt up. also i would throw that the other way around. mustangs, at least the older ones, are definitely muscle cars... and as much as i love my truck, they are definitely "little wanna be" trucks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the donor vehicle is a 2001 explorer. and i was just confirming the transmission thing, i was pretty sure already that they wouldn't bolt up. also i would throw that the other way around. mustangs, at least the older ones, are definitely muscle cars... and as much as i love my truck, they are definitely "little wanna be" trucks.
I love it :)
(and compares nicely with the small mustang comment)

A 3.0l rates 150 horse power
A 4.0l rates 160 horse power

Yes, it is fun to do a swap and everything always comes together nicely, no surprises.......... ever, 8 to 10 hours max....max.

But for 10 horse power???

I would tend to agree with adsm08, 5.0l swap to 215 horse power for the same "fun of a swap" would seem to make more sense.
I wouldn't think there would be more than a 1 MPG different for 40% more horse power(from 4.0l)

I also agree with adsm08 that the Fox Body Mustangs are "little girl wanna-be muscle cars", lol.

And I agree with you, early Mustangs were the pick of the litter for Muscle.

But I loved this old Craigslist add, reproduced on this Dodge blog, you will know why when you read the ad :)
http://moparblog.com/funny-craigslist-ad-found-mustang-gt-doors/

If you still want to do the 4.0l swap then you will need to stick with the automatic as that is what the donor 4.0l computer is setup for.
Or if you get get a 4.0l manual trans get the computer from a 4.0l with manual trans, you also need to match the with or without EGR valve or CEL will be on all the time.

Just out of curiosity, why are the 3.0l failing on you, with all the 3.0ls in Rangers there just aren't that many "blow ups" reported?

Last edited:

Scobi64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the 4L swap is just going to be more convenient for me and cost efficient. at least for where im at. i got the whole donor vehicle for a cheap price, and it doesnt have much mileage. my truck is my only DD and im without a vehicle. i need it up and running asap, no time to search for a 5.0 donor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals