• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L swap 2001 into a 93

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I found a 2001 3.0L out of a ranger, complete with computer. the truck had an automatic.

are the computers the same between auto's and manual's?

what modifications will i need to do to complete the swap?

i posted this before the forums switched.

thanks.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the computers are different between autos and manuals. in '01, all auto tranny's are computer controlled, so not having the tranny plugged in will likely throw various codes and may effect the engines performance.

since your going from EEC-IV to OBDII, you'll also need the complete engine wiring harness. its also possible that there are fuel system differences.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i dont know how true it is but some one at ranger powersports said you can dumb down the newer non flexfuel 3.0 s and swap over the distributor and that it was just covered over by a plate. if that is the case cool. i know the heads are swappable and aside from the obd2 the later vulcans had15 more horse power and that was because of bigger valves in the cylinder heads.i am contemplating such a swap.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i believe the distributor hole is covered by the cam position sensor on the new motors. the heads are the same on later years (including valves). the later models made an extra 10 horsepower and 15ft-lbs of torque mainly due to throttle body and plenum imporvements.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
can you swap the lower intake from the 93 engine to retain the distributor and use the 93 wiring harness and sensors?

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
IF the long blocks are the same (and it sounds like it may be so), swapping the long blocks alone is by far the simplest solution.

It is NOT enough to swap the intake. All OBD-II systems have more than two oxygen sensors, so the exhaust is different as well.

Keep every last bit of the original emissions system, and you don't have to worry about changed calibrations, wiring harness issues, or anything else but fit of (lower) intake and exhaust manifolds.

cargs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
are the intake bolt patterns the same?

just a general question.

what is the definition of long block? (block, heads, everything assembled except for the intake?)

thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A long block is a fully assembled engine block, plus complete head(s), including all the valvetrain parts. No manifolds, no electronics, no components nor brackets.

As for whether the intake bolt patterns are the same, it sounds from this thread that it might be so, but I have no independent information on that.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the lower intake manifold patterns are the same. the plenum pattern is also the same, but the composite manifolds have smaller bolt holes (something like 6mm vs 8mm on the aluminum plenums). if your swapping your entire intake from your '93, it should be no problem.

the extra O2 sensors on the OBDII models are located in the downpipes. the manifolds should be identical.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals