• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L in place of 2.9L motor?

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1988 B2 XLT 4x4 Fuel Injected

Is a swap from the 2.9L v6 to the 3.0L v6 going to work while maintaining the same old automatic transmission? The reason I'm replacing the engine is because it has heavy rod and lifter noise, not worth the rebuild IMO. Anyone ever done this engine swap? And if so can you let me know what might need to be done, and if a transmission swap is necessary as well?

Thanks

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
The bellhousing bolt pattern is not the same so you would have to do some work to either put a different transmission in or swap bellhousings if they are removable on the transmissions you are using.

A lot of peole on here will probably tell you that the 3.0 is kinda gutless and needs to rev a lot higher to get power out of it. They'd also say you'd be better off with the 2.9.

The 4.0 would be a better swap in place of the 2.9, it has more power than either of the other two and would mate up to whatever transmission you already have in the vehicle. Lots of people on TRS have upgraded from the 2.9 to the 4.0, if you search you can find lots of people's threads detailing what they did to make it happen. I also think there's an article in the tech library.

masterelyt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well the transmission is the A4LD which is a 4 speed automatic transmission, and is in great working condition so I'd prefer to keep it. You're saying that the 4.0L will bolt up without any mods to the current transmission? If so, are there any other areas that might prove difficult during the swap to this engine?

The other option would be to swap to another 2.9L but I figured if I'm taking the engine out, I might as well upgrade to something with a little more power!

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I've never done the swap myself so I'm just going on what I've read.

The 4.0 engine will bolt to your transmission. I think you'll need to change the flexplate.

You'll need the computer from the 4.0 vehicle. You might encounter problems with making your '88 gauges work with the 4.0 engine and computer, I don't think it's impossible to make work but I think I've read other people swapping the gauge cluster at the same time to ease the pain...

Your best bet is to look though other's build threads in the RBVs Under Construction subforum and in the engine swap subforums to find people who have actually done it.

ronclark

Supporting Member
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
95 4.0 with 93 ECU
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
I've never done the swap myself so I'm just going on what I've read.

The 4.0 engine will bolt to your transmission. I think you'll need to change the flexplate.

You'll need the computer from the 4.0 vehicle. You might encounter problems with making your '88 gauges work with the 4.0 engine and computer, I don't think it's impossible to make work but I think I've read other people swapping the gauge cluster at the same time to ease the pain...

Your best bet is to look though other's build threads in the RBVs Under Construction subforum and in the engine swap subforums to find people who have actually done it.
I did a 4.0L (95 motor/93 explorer harness and computer) swap in my 87 ranger. not sure why every says there is problems making gen 1 gauges work. mine works 100%. the tack is dead on. i tested with the a digital tack meter.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The other option would be to swap to another 2.9L but I figured if I'm taking the engine out, I might as well upgrade to something with a little more power!
Then stay away from the 3.0.
Its not a bad engine, super reliable and puts out decent numbers for horsepower and torque, but its not really a truck engine - it seems it would be more at home in a taurus.

If you want more power than the 2.9, definately do the 4.0 swap.

For the record, the 2.9s are notorious for making noise in the top end, unless its actually broken I'd just leave it alone. (unless this is a DD, at which point preventative maintanence might be in order, depending how bad the 2.9 is... but i've had two over 300 000 miles. Loud, but still strong.)

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I dont know why everybody dogs the 3.0 so bad. Ill tell you what, Ive had multiple 2.9's and 3.0's, and I can tell you that the 2.9 doesnt have any more balls than a 3.0, In fact, My 3.0 in my 05 will hand any 2.9 its ass, stock for stock, and you can quote me that, and Id be willing to bet money on a race. My gf had a taurus for a while, and while Id never buy a taurus again, the thing was no slouch, despite weighing more than your average ranger or bronco 2 for that matter.

With that being said... The work entailed in swapping to a 3.0 is more than the work swapping to a 4.0, and I wouldnt even think twice about dropping in a 4.0... youll be much happier.

TeamExploder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV+SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 will bolt up to your current A4LD but putting more power to that transmission will wear it quickly, its weak just being behind the 2.9 let alone more power from the 4.0

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals