• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0l Cylinder Head replacement, Parts needed

ptf18

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford RangerEDGE
Transmission
Automatic
Would like to know what parts I would need if I'm replacing BOTH heads on my '02 3.0l Ranger? I found the Ford TSB (05-26-3) that covers the Head issue Ford knows about and it that bulletin there is a list of Ford p/n parts they call out for 1 (ONE) head: What is the quantity of those parts being that I'm doing BOTH heads? For instance, the Head Bolts.

PART NUMBER / PART NAME

6U7Z-6049-A / Cylinder Head Assembly

2F1Z-6079-BB / Upper Gasket Kit

F8 DZ-6065-AA / Cylinder Head Bolts

F7DZ-9448-BB / Engine Exhaust Gasket

4F1Z-658-AA / Valve Cover Gasket

F6DZ-9439-C / Side Gasket

F2DZ-9A425-AA / China Gasket (Front)

F3DZ-9A424-BA / China Gasket (Rear)

4L5Z-9H486-AA / Gasket-Upper Intake Manifold

I know the Cylinder Heads are NOT available from Ford any longer.

If I have to remove other components to access the heads, what other parts will I need? Fuel Injector 0-rings?

With 245k miles on the truck what other items should I change out? Like ALL the coolant hoses? PCV parts? EGR parts? Plugs, what p/n? The coil and wires are NEW Motorcraft (less than 1k on them)

Are the exhaust manifolds held on with bolts or nuts? Should they be replaced?

Thanks all. I want this project to go as smooth as possible w/o lacking parts (seals, o-rings, gskts, type stuff) I know I could run into unknowns but I'll have to deal with that as it comes up.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
No project goes smoothly. What separates the good mechanics from the lousy mechanics is patience when things go wrong. Another piece of advice, if you can get the original Ford part off and its reusable, use it. The quality of new parts now is lousy.

I replaced both heads on my 2.9, and every exhaust manifold bolt broke off. I was not worried about it, I had to turn the heads in for core, one of them was cracked, so they probably didn't care anyway. I did have trouble finding the correct metric bolts locally, but finally did at my local Napa.

The only other piece of advice I can give is don't get in a hurry. I hope you have a spare vehicle you can drive. This can be a pleasant experience if you are not rushed. If the going gets tough, drop the tools and go do something else for awhile or go watch tv. Then come back later and attack it again.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
a "valve grind gasket kit" usually has all you will need in one package.
engine exhaust, valve cover, side gasket ( aka: lower intake) are used in pairs
do the cam sync unit too, or at least pull it out and inspect the gear & lube the top bushing.
yes to O rings
thermostat
the exhaust manifolds to heads are all bolts, some of the bolts are specials and have extended studs. Dorman has kits, 1 per side
exhaust manifold bolts x2, ex manifold-to-Ypipe studs x2 (2 per kit)
the EGR tube can be rust welded into the exhaust manifold, remove at the EGR valve only if possible

google all your part numbers for pictures, that will prevent duplicates

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals