• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

black06xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im thinking about buying a 1998 ext cab 2wd with the 3.0 automatic. i know in the taurus the 3.0 wasw good little engine but i dont know to much about the 3.0 in a ranger. ive owned 2.3 and 4.o rangers and really liked both motors. so how well does the 3.0 perform in a ranger?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Its under powered IMO. It is basically the same engine as the Taurus, but the power to MPG ratio in the Ranger you might as well have a 4.0 and be happy.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I have the 3.0. It works. But there's nothing to brag about. There's not much low end torque. I haven't driven rangers with the other engines. So I don't know how it compares. I re-geared my diff's so I will be running slightly higher rpms with the tires I chose. That will probably hurt gas mileage a bit. I'm hoping it will help get me closer to the power band during low speed operations.

If that's what is available and within budget, don't be afraid to get it. Mine will need a rebuild or replacement in the next year or two. Not sure what route I will go with that project. I would like to have a diesel.

black06xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the truck im looking at is a 98 2wd ext cab automatic. its a fixer upper for $400 what the hell right? i currently have a 2006 4wd ext cab 4.0 automatic

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
A $400 price tag makes up for a lot of shortcomings.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

black06xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
is there ways to get more power out of 3.0

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sure, it just depends on your budget, skill level, and how willing you are to dig into it. The best options for starters are an underdrive crank pulley and e-fan conversion. They'll both free up some power, and should improve your fuel economy. It's also a good idea to check the throttle cable for extra slack as they stretch over time. If there's extra slack, do the Throttle Cable mod to eliminate the slack.

If you still want more from there, there are roller rockers, shorty headers, boost, porting/polishing, etc. My 3.0 has all of the above, and it's a far cry from when it was stock. It also cost a pretty penny to get it to this point though.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.
Sure, it just depends on your budget, skill level, and how willing you are to dig into it. The best options for starters are an underdrive crank pulley and e-fan conversion. They'll both free up some power, and should improve your fuel economy. It's also a good idea to check the throttle cable for extra slack as they stretch over time. If there's extra slack, do the Throttle Cable mod to eliminate the slack.

If you still want more from there, there are roller rockers, shorty headers, boost, porting/polishing, etc. My 3.0 has all of the above, and it's a far cry from when it was stock. It also cost a pretty penny to get it to this point though.
OK, I'll bite. How much boost ? Completely rebuilt with forged internals ? How much HP now ?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stock internals, balanced. ARP head studs, 1.8 roller rockers, stiffer valve springs, Ceramic coated stainless JBA headers, Whipple supercharger running 9-10psi depending on the day. Intake manifold, cylinder heads, and blower manifold have been ported/polished. It's a flex fuel setup, but I try to run it mostly on e85 unless I'm someplace where it's not available. Haven't had it dyno tuned. It just had it's first oil change. Hopefully I can get it on a dyno later this summer.

Overall, it's pretty similar to JP02XLT's setup, but I think he has 1.7 ratio rockers and runs more boost than me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
To each his own.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals