• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 V6 dune build. Possible?

brocstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Just Picked up an 02 3.0 V6 with 170k miles. Looking to build this to take to glamis and play with my SXS also. (wife and kids in SXS dad in ranger) I am fairly new to the wrenching with automotive and trying to teach myself as I go along but do have people I can reach out to if need be. Not sure if this the correct place to post but couldn't really find any threads or topics along the lines.

Does the 3.0 have enough power to even make the build worth it? This is really my main question before I get even thinking about the build?

Thinking I will go with 33's and body lift to get it started. Open to recommendations on build also

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Just Picked up an 02 3.0 V6 with 170k miles. Looking to build this to take to glamis and play with my SXS also. (wife and kids in SXS dad in ranger) I am fairly new to the wrenching with automotive and trying to teach myself as I go along but do have people I can reach out to if need be. Not sure if this the correct place to post but couldn't really find any threads or topics along the lines.

Does the 3.0 have enough power to even make the build worth it? This is really my main question before I get even thinking about the build?

Thinking I will go with 33's and body lift to get it started. Open to recommendations on build also
The 3.0 would do just fine, you'd just have to keep in mind that the 3.0 is like a 4cyl in regards to how high it likes/needs to get revved. She wants to be spun halfway to the moon.

As far as a lift and 33s, a suspension lift would be better IMO, you'd need to regear the axles as low as they'd go, and having an lsd/locker put in the rear end would be advantageous.

Not gonna be a cheap project. Before I got rid of my 2wd 2010 I had the rear re-geared and had an lsd put in it, about 1400$ right there (700 for parts / 700ish labor)

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
+1 to what he said. Regear to 4.56 or 4.88 if you can. Detroit locker or Aussie locker can be an inexpensive way to improve the differential. Some people don’t like the way they act on the street.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4wd? if its 2wd its not gonna get far with a body lift. youll need speed to get through the dunes out in glamis.... speed meaning real long travel suspension and such.
forsure going to want a locker or even a spool in the rear end. i run a spool.
i dont know the power difference between a 3.0 and a OHV 4.0. but in my case with 35s, 2wd and 100 wheel horsepower i was able to get around the dunes just fine in my prerunner. ive since swapped in a 4.0 sohc and its much better.

Attachments

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The 3.0 will be OK but the automatic transmission won't last long on 33's ripping through dunes of a hot California desert.

You need to install the biggest auxiliary cooler you can fit before you even attempt to do anything else. I still wouldn't put much faith in it holding up to much abuse.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the autos actually work great in prerunner type builds. wayyyyy better than that retched 5 speed. i have a friend with literally thousands of baja miles on his auto trans...hes got 35s on his truck too!
and noone out here goes out to the desert in the summer...desert season is from halloween to late march out here haha

but i agree. a nice 12" cbr cooler for the trans would be a great idea

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals