• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 to 4.0 PLEASE HELP!!!

is the swap worth it?

• leave it alone

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • new or newer 3.0

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • go for it

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Matts 96 XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 96 2WD xlt ranger it has a 3.0 and a 5spd. I have found a low milage 4.0 in a explorer im not sure of the model but i think that its close to the same model of my truck. My question is how hard will the swap be and what all will i need?:huh:

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
the 4 liters are a completely diffrent breed of motor compared to a 3.0. they are low reving and dont put out enough power to justify the PITA to swap. if the 4 liter was free and parts were cheap i would tell you to concider it. if your looking for more motor find a explorer 302 and a tranny of your choice along with a upgraded rear and a custom driveshaft. dont waste the cash on a 4 liter, i doubt it will fill your needs and it wont be cheap.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
it depends on what your goal here is, but i tend to agree with 86 ford. a 4.0 isnt a big enough increase in power to warrant the hassle.

by "the hassle", i mean swapping the engine, mounts, wiring harness, computer, transmission, and attending to dozens of other little details.

if all your looking for is a reliable, spunky daily driver...than leave the 3.0 in, change gears, chip it, and do some intake work, and please REV the thing. 3.0's have proven to be more reliable than 4.0's anyway :icon_thumby:

if you want serious power...fork over the dough for a hard-to-find supercharger for the 3.0, or v-8 it.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Leave it alone. I always read about 3.0's having little power, but my 91 3.0 seems to move real good :)

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
it depends on what your goal here is, but i tend to agree with 86 ford. a 4.0 isnt a big enough increase in power to warrant the hassle.

by "the hassle", i mean swapping the engine, mounts, wiring harness, computer, transmission, and attending to dozens of other little details.

if all your looking for is a reliable, spunky daily driver...than leave the 3.0 in, change gears, chip it, and do some intake work, and please REV the thing. 3.0's have proven to be more reliable than 4.0's anyway :icon_thumby:

if you want serious power...fork over the dough for a hard-to-find supercharger for the 3.0, or v-8 it.
X2 and voted for leave it alone.

Matts 96 XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok guys thanks alot im new to this and that helps to make the decision to leave it alone. i drive the truck everyday and was just looking for a few extra horses i put 17in cobras on it and as u can imagine it hurt the power a little. i think ill just spend a little money and do what u guys recamended.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if your tires are significantly larger than the stock size, than you really should start with a set of gears.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic

+3 on this, I agree

4.10's or 4.56's would help so much . 4.10's can be found in some junkyard rbv's (esp. 4x4 4cyl rangers) and bolt in, plus you don't have to pay for gear set up.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The engine sap itself isn't difficult and any 3.0 truck is new enough so that if you are
working with a same year donor the electrical part isnn't that bad...

But the additional complication of different motor mounts, different transmission bellhousing pattern, different exhaust Y-pipe, (and other mechanical differences)
make switching from a 3.0 to a 4.0 every bit as difficult as switching froma 2.3 to a 4.0.

The 2.9 guys have it easy by comparison, because the 2.9 and 4.0 while
different are closely related and the similarities outnumber the differences

I've said this before but it sems I need to say it again... "power" is NOT
what the 4.0 is about. going from 140hp(2.9) or 145hp(3.0) to 160hp (4.0)
is more than a trivial increase... but not by much.

On the other hand, going from 170ft/lb(2.9) or 160ft/lb(3.0) to a 4.0(225ft/lb)
is rather significant.
But what is most important is not the increase in total torque, but where
you get that torque.

The 4.0 makes more torque than a 2.9's 170/ft peak before it hits 1100rpm
(the 2.9 must spin to 2600rpm)

but comparing the torque of a 4.0 to a 2.9 while revealing to the benefit of a 4.0
doesn't approach telling the story of a 4.0 Vs 3.0 comparison.

the 3.0 has to spin to 3000rpm to make it's 160ft/lb torque peak
the 4.0 can do that at IDLE! and can continue doing it until it hits
it's rev limiter:)

Everyone talks "power", but what they want (without realizing it) is torque.

Yes, the 4.0 is probably what you really want, but swapping a 4.0 in
where a 3.0 has been is a much bigger job than most people are prepaired for.

I also voted for leave it alone.

AD

Last edited:

macewan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Are chips for the 3.0 that readily available and does anyone have a good recommendation as to where to buy? I do like the 3.0's ability to rev up and make power. I just worry that I might blow the thing up and I like the truck way too much to see it blow. LOL

What else can be done to it to get more umph! out of it. I want to spend some much deserved time and money on the Ranger in the spring and was going to do a v-8 swap but if the 3.0 is that worthy, maybe the lower expense might be the way to go.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
concerning yourself about hurting a 3.0 by spinning it up is like worrying about hurting a fish by placing it in water. some of the guys that were lucky enough to get a whipple charger for their trucks while they were available are running 10-12 PSI on the STOCK bottom end....and they still spin them up without issue. my 130,000 mile 3.0 sees 4,000+ rpm everytime i drive it.

bamachips is probably your best bet for a chip.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals