• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 to 2.3 swap help

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 reg cab 2wd manual trans ranger. The body is pretty rotten but it has 120k miles and runs/ shifts great. Im looking at buying a 98 3.0 automatic 2wd extended cab or a 96 reg cab 2wd 2.3 automatic, both have a blown engine and swaping in my 2.3 and manual trans into it. My question is what problems am i going to have and is there anything im going to need before i get into the swap? Is it a bolt in/ straight forward type deal? Is there any problems going from obd2 to an obd1? Which on would be easier?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The '96 2.3l will have correct motor mount.

But both '96 and '98 have the newer EEC-V(OBDII) computers, 104 pin connector, this was changed in 1995 so your '94 has older 60-pin EEC-IV(OBDI), so computers can't be swapped, like you were worried about.

'96 2.3l block/head and trans can be swapped for your '94 block heads and trans and then use intake/exhaust and sensors from the '96, should be fairly easy, I think drive shaft needs to be swapped as well.

But unless you change EEC-V automatic trans model for an EEC-V manual trans model you will have the CEL(check engine light) on all the time, could have high idle now and again as well.

'98 3.0l would be a bit more work as it won't have the crossbrace for 2.3l motor mount, and you would have to, for sure, get an EEC-V for 2.3l manual trans.

Pulling out your whole EEC-IV(OBDI) wiring and swapping it into the '96 or '98 would be do able, but ALOT of work and possibly dash board swap.

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron. So i got the 98 3.0 and a cut in half (the front half) 2000 reg cab 2wd 2.3 manual. Do i have everything ill need to swap the 2.3 with manual trans into the 98 3.0 extended cab automatic 2wd. Cross members, drive shafts? Any other problems i might run into

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
First, there was no 2.3L in 2000. There was a 2.5L 4 cyl, and then in 2001 there was a new DOHC, all aluminum 2.3L engine. It won't really matter which one you have, but you should make sure you know what you've got. The DOHC engine is the best 4cylinder they put in the Ranger, so it would be the better option.

Second, the driveshafts are different lengths between manual trans and auto trans equipped trucks. You'll need to find/make an extended cab, manual trans driveshaft.

The swap should be fairly simple. Take the 3.0 and everything that touches it out, and put the 4 cylinder/trans/PCM/wiring harness in it's place.

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
My bad, it is an 01. Is the driveshaft i need shorter or longer? Also do the splines match up if i end up having the stock driveshaft altered. From the yards ive called so far nobody has an extended cab manual 2wd driveshaft, so im thinking this might be my only choice if i cant find one.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe the manual trans requires a longer driveshaft, but it's been a couple of years since I did my swap.

I have no idea if the auto trans yoke will fit in the output of the manual trans, so I'm afraid I'm no help with that one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatic and manual trans have different size yoke for output on 2WD, 4WD, of course, hooks to transfer case so uses the same size

Spicer sells "converter" u-joints, which "might" allow you to swap yokes if u-joint diameters are different.

here is an article on one piece drive shaft conversion that might have helpful info: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/June04/offroad.shtml

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks everybody. So far i cant find the drive shaft i need so im going to take the manual trans reg cab drive shaft to a shop and have them put a longer torque tube on. I got a quote today for $160 done and balanced so i think thats my best bet so far. Hopefully ill have pics of the swap up soon

n7nd0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everybody. So far i cant find the drive shaft i need so im going to take the manual trans reg cab drive shaft to a shop and have them put a longer torque tube on. I got a quote today for $160 done and balanced so i think thats my best bet so far. Hopefully ill have pics of the swap up soon
Ever get around to the swap?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals