• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 The fun begins

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2wd
Transmission
Automatic
Just to make sure I'm following :

The engine driven fan already removed, replaced by 12V fan before baseline 0-60 times ? Only change one pully, and 4% faster 0-60 ?

I'm sure OP has mentioned elsewhere , but could you remind us auto or manual, which gear ratio ?

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
No baseline before fan, sorry. Manual, I'm sure my driving of "this truck" is improving also. I made three hard runs prior to the pulley 10.41. After, my 1st run I was holding a coffee and ran a 10.32 I poured coffee all over lol then threw it out and made three good pulls with a 10.02 a 10.teen and another 10.0? Most definitely faster with the pulley and my gas gauge is not moving as fast as before.

I did have one issue with the truck getting warmer that normal, sitting in Fast food line, 5 cars back, AC on and it's mid 90s here. I turned off the AC and revved the motor a little while creeping up. It settled down right away. I want to swap the radiator for a 4.0 model and drop the thermostat to a lesser degree but not by much. I may even replace the fan clutch and reinstall it and do a accurate test. That is a debated subject lol.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
No baseline before fan, sorry. Manual, I'm sure my driving of "this truck" is improving also. I made three hard runs prior to the pulley 10.41. After, my 1st run I was holding a coffee and ran a 10.32 I poured coffee all over lol then threw it out and made three good pulls with a 10.02 a 10.teen and another 10.0? Most definitely faster with the pulley and my gas gauge is not moving as fast as before.

I did have one issue with the truck getting warmer that normal, sitting in Fast food line, 5 cars back, AC on and it's mid 90s here. I turned off the AC and revved the motor a little while creeping up. It settled down right away. I want to swap the radiator for a 4.0 model and drop the thermostat to a lesser degree but not by much. I may even replace the fan clutch and reinstall it and do a accurate test. That is a debated subject lol.
If the temp was rising at idle you can be sure the thermostat was already open fully but there was not enough circulation of air and/or coolant. I lower temp thermostat would not be open any further, so would not have made a difference.

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
If the temp was rising at idle you can be sure the thermostat was already open fully but there was not enough circulation of air and/or coolant. I lower temp thermostat would not be open any further, so would not have made a difference.
Correct, and thanks for the catch. Maybe the larger capacity radiator will overcome the slow flow.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Bmw 5 series come with a 12v auxiliary coolant pump. They're the same.size as the plumbing for a Ranger heater core. Just a thought. Boneyard has them cheap.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Glad to see it's going well so far and you're happy with some tangible results!

Maybe the larger capacity radiator will overcome the slow flow.
The 97-02 Explorers with the 5.0 had a radiator that was a drop in replacement for the 3.0 rad, but twice the thickness FYI. My cooling fan rarely comes on unless I'm beating on it.

Ranger 3.0 Rad:
Explorer 5.0 Rad:

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
@88workcar, Did you ever give us your rear end gear ratio?

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Got my intake in to start porting it and BOOM it's cracked. So now I wait again.

Attachments

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
The seller refunded me on the intake, turns out it was wrong so the crack was a blessing. I did overheat again at idle with AC on. I pulled the front off the truck and washed all the bugs and rocks out of the AC coil and radiator. I also installed a 180* stat. I have not had another issue not even close.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals