• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Spark Plug Gap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Hello, I’m back again with things that shouldn’t need answering. I thought it was high time to replace my spark plugs and wires on the ranger but unfortunately I have a feeling I’m in another f*ck autozone situation. I ordered pre gapped Bosch iridium spark plugs and was already bugged on the website because it had no indication of how much of a pre-gap just that they were just that. Trusted autozone since it was parts specific to the vehicle and what do you know, they’re the wrong parts. They’re gapped at .052” and the 3.0 needs .042 - .047 if I’m not mistaken. As far as I know these are for a 4.0 so should I just buy a 4.0? Jk
Lol anyways could I just adjust these a certain way back down to the 3.0’s gap range or would it be a really bad idea to put them in regardless.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I just went to the Bosch website and looked for iridium spark plugs for 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0l v6.

Here is what their website showed me. I recommend regular old Motorcraft spark plugs.

Screenshot_20200113-135406_Chrome.jpg

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I put some of those fancy iridium plugs in my Ranger some years ago, Bosch. Ate the center electrodes out of them in 5000 miles. Also tried some of those E3 plugs, gone in 5000 miles. Good old Motorcraft double platinum plugs in it now since January 2017. Since the ignition on these fires two plugs, with the spark backwards on them, it's best to stick with double platinums. On one side, the spark goes from the outer electrode to the center. On the other, it goes from the center to the outer. So it wears on the electrodes differently on both sides.

Lots of different wires here. I have the blue JBA in my Ranger and the red JBA in my 4.0 Mustang. Full metal spiral wound wires. The best. Lengths all correct.
These are all 3.0 wire kits. https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-ranger-performance-plug-wires/?filter=1&sub-model[Liter][]=3.0L

For better or worse, I buy my plugs at my local FORD dealer. I like rolling in there in my Lightning. Attracts a crowd every time. And them salesman coming out wondering what I am trading it in for. LMAO!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
I just went to the Bosch website and looked for iridium spark plugs for 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0l v6.

Here is what their website showed me. I recommend regular old Motorcraft spark plugs.

View attachment 35646
I’ll disagree on that search, though they got me pre gapped at .052 which is not standard for the 3.0

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can run them as is
When driving under load at higher RPMs see if you feel any misfires, if not all is well

Spark plug gap is drivers choice, within limits, lol
The smaller the gap the weaker the spark so can cause slower cold starts, but the better the recovery time for the coil, i.e. racing engines use smaller gaps for better high RPM performance, they don't care about cold starts, lol

The wider the gap the better for cold starts and low RPM pulling power, stronger spark, but less recovery time for coil, so you can get misfires at high rpms, 5,000+ rpms

+/- 0.01 is about the limit for general driving requirements

So 0.046 spec, could be tested at 0.036 to 0.056 for best DRIVER'S preference

Its like tire pressure, driver decides the best pressure to run, within limits

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, like us Lightning guys reduce the gap when we up boost beyond stock. I run NGK TR-6 gapped at .032 in mine. IIRC, stock gap is up around .060. But more boost can "blow out" the spark if the gap is too wide.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
You can run them as is
When driving under load at higher RPMs see if you feel any misfires, if not all is well

Spark plug gap is drivers choice, within limits, lol
The smaller the gap the weaker the spark so can cause slower cold starts, but the better the recovery time for the coil, i.e. racing engines use smaller gaps for better high RPM performance, they don't care about cold starts, lol

The wider the gap the better for cold starts and low RPM pulling power, stronger spark, but less recovery time for coil, so you can get misfires at high rpms

+/- 0.01 is about the limit

So 0.046 spec, could be tested at 0.036 to 0.056 for best DRIVER'S preference

Its like tire pressure, driver decides the best pressure to run, within limits
I guess the question is then, should I get different plugs at this point? The truck is literally my way of getting out of thick wet clay when it rains out where I live so I’m really running the crap out of her. Sometimes we go into town with the truck but Im mainly driving my E36 bmw as a daily. So the truck is what’s getting beat. It sounds like I shouldn’t put the spark plugs in with the way I drive it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Keeping in mind the truck is 2wd and it’s 1st gear, petal on the floor with the tires spinning at 40mph to move in this mud. So I’m really looking for the best way to run this truck

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently put one of these on my 4.0 Mustang, and am intending the same for my 3.0 soon. https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-ranger-ignition-systems/accel-super-edis-ignition-block-904806230.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|3.0L

And this is as close as you can get to the one I have. Mine is a MAC, not available any longer. This one if K & N. https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-ranger-air-intakes/kn-air-intakes-57-series-377170362.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|3.0L

I need to take another picture, this one is really old. LOL!!

Attachments

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Iridium is great and works very well, but for a wasted spark system both the ground AND the center electrode must be iridium or it will do no good. The wasted spark system is going to try to burn off 3 of the center electrodes, which is why most fine wire plugs will be shot after a couple thousand miles.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Iridium is great and works very well, but for a wasted spark system both the ground AND the center electrode must be iridium or it will do no good. The wasted spark system is going to try to burn off 3 of the center electrodes, which is why most fine wire plugs will be shot after a couple thousand miles.
Which is exactly what happened when I tried them. Gone in 5000 miles or less. Still ran though. I took them out just to see what they looked like, and found iirc the three on the passenger side had no center electrodes at all.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I recently put one of these on my 4.0 Mustang, and am intending the same for my 3.0 soon. https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-ranger-ignition-systems/accel-super-edis-ignition-block-904806230.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|3.0L

And this is as close as you can get to the one I have. Mine is a MAC, not available any longer. This one if K & N. https://www.carid.com/1998-ford-ranger-air-intakes/kn-air-intakes-57-series-377170362.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|3.0L

Why would he need a new coil and a hot air intake?

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Which is exactly what happened when I tried them. Gone in 5000 miles or less. Still ran though. I took them out just to see what they looked like, and found iirc the three on the passenger side had no center electrodes at all.
The Autolite XP has an Iridium-enhanced center electrode, and a platinum ground electrode. Since the ground electrode lasts longer anyway these work quite well.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15

To be honest I’ve looked a K&N intake and a crank pulley from jet performance for a little more performance. But I think I’ll go get some platinums gapped with its range. To many ifs and worries with these. And I’m not sure I could carefully bend 6 of them down anyways lol

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70R15
Suggestions on stores that might have some of these spark plugs on the shelf? Autozone never has motorcraft, just am ordering option in store.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals