• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Problems. Help Appreciated!

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
2000 Ranger, 3.0 Flex, 130,000 miles.

After dealing with a bunch of fuel problems, now I have a really bad missfire.

It crept up on me all of the sudden and now my truck can't even get out of it's own way.

It only misses under a load. When I rev it in neutral it sounds fine.
It's horrible in the lower RPMs (3300 and lower) and then it gets better (still there though) as I wrap it up.

I have a fuel pressure guage hooked up to the valve on the pass. side fuel rail. I can watch the needle flutter with the sound of the miss through the exhaust.

I've got no get up and go, and it seems to hang out at about 2500 RPMs till it picks up.

I replaced plugs and wires, cam position sensor, cleaned the MAFsensor, and did a vaccume leak test. I don't hear a churp so I don't think it's the syncro.

Here's the weird thing, I ran a can of seafoam through the line running into the vaccume booster, and for about 3 minutes it ran like a bat out of hell. Then it went back to the miss.

Stuck valve?

I've got no CEL, or maybe the bulb is burned out. I'll try and have them pull codes this afternoon.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,
LBF

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Checked your FPR? If it is out of adjustment or faulty, it will give symptoms like this. Seafoam doubles as a starter fluid. Injecting through vacuum, you're bypassing the FPR which would be a good reason for it to run normal. Giving it the fuel that the FPR isn't.

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
What is the fuel pressure a 3.0l runs at 62 to 75 psi if u do not get that, then u have a fuel prob to start with fix that then work from there

betomonroy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like a bad Fuel Pressure Regulator or a fuel pump / fuel filter issue.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Driving home the other night from work I started to think about the problem.

I got some bad advice about running techron to clean out the tank, running it through the pump and filter, and then changing the strainer and filter. My gas is pretty gnarley after the tank swap.

I changed the in line filter last night and that helped a bit. Now the fuel pressure seisures a 5 psi range rather then a 15 psi range.

When the snow melts off my bed I'm gonna pull the pump and sending unit, drain the tank and clean it out by hand, and run some seafoam as fuel additive.

I had a fuse out so my OBDII wouldn't actually register on the code reader, so I traced all my fuses and now my cigarette lighter works! And my OBDII and I've got no codes so it's definately fuel related.

Thanks guys. I thought I had all my fuel problems worked out. I'll admit it, I'm definatly not an engine guy besides basic bs. I'm more into axles and suspension and the fab required.

Once again, thanks for reassuring I'm in the right direction.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Holy living hell my tank was much worse then I thought.

I drained it, scrubbed the inside, and vaccumed large chunks of shit out.

New strainer, new filter, good pump, ran 20 gals of 91 mixed with some BK44 shtuff. She's runing in my front yard right now.

I'll see how this treatment does. After replacing the fuel filter the psi flutter range lessend to around 5 rather then 15-20.

I had a problem keeping fuel pressure for a whilie. After a while I'd prime the pump and it'd shoot to 60 and then slowly tick back to 20, and stay there a while. Now it's not staying at 20. I wonder if a clog somewhere hid a leak or somethin. I'll see how this treatment does.

graff104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Holy living hell my tank was much worse then I thought.

I drained it, scrubbed the inside, and vaccumed large chunks of shit out.

New strainer, new filter, good pump, ran 20 gals of 91 mixed with some BK44 shtuff. She's runing in my front yard right now.

I'll see how this treatment does. After replacing the fuel filter the psi flutter range lessend to around 5 rather then 15-20.

I had a problem keeping fuel pressure for a whilie. After a while I'd prime the pump and it'd shoot to 60 and then slowly tick back to 20, and stay there a while. Now it's not staying at 20. I wonder if a clog somewhere hid a leak or somethin. I'll see how this treatment does.
If you had huge chunkcs in there i would wonder if you now have a hose clogged somewhere.

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
It's very possible. I've had my truck runnin out front for over an hour now (supposed to be used with 20 gallons of gas) but when I just took it for a spin it seemed to be helping. Less flutter in the fuel pressure. I'm gonna let her idle for another hour or so and then run the hell out of her in the morning.

My pump is a little loud which makes leads me to believe there's still a clog somewhere so I'll see if this treatment helps brake that up.

Tader82

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
loud pump = dieing pump. the GM's r bad about that

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals