• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 performance mods

Onefunranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I have a 03 3.0 and I have done as much as I can to make some hp the list I have is jba headers and stock y pipe removed the back two cats and a single chamber flowmaster ported and pohlised heads 4.0 injectors and t body from ford exscape t body spacer made my own intake true cold air chip aftermarket cam full roller and o dynoed 196 to wheels but I do have 35s but 4.88 gears so if you spend the time and money you can do it

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now that is what i wanted to see. People posting actual results and listing mods. I am very excited to find out what i get. Just finished the truck up earlier and as of right now i can only judge by seat of the pants. I still have not installed the headers or larger t body. My thinking is i will need bigger injectors and have found that the 2002 taurus has 20lb injectors versus the ranger being 14lb. I absolutely hate it when people hijack a thread. If you want to argue please do it in some elses thread. Starting a "I hate it when people mod a 3.0" thread would be great go for it. Just leave this one alone.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
You wont need larger injectors. Simply increasing the fuel pressure will do, but, without porting the heads, installing larger valves or adding forced induction, you wont be moving enough air to require more fuel, unless of course, you find a way to make it rev to 9K. So, installing larger injectors at this point will just make it run rich.

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok i was wondering about that. I definantly feel like i will reach my 150 goal. Today when i test drove the truck getting onto the highway from a stand still i was shifting into third gear at just over 60 mph. And it started pulling hard at about 2500 rpm. So i hope i have done good. This will be a slow process i do want to put one of the morana cams, the rocker arms, and valve springs eventually. I still want to get 200 to the tires. But heck once i reach that number i will probably want the stroker kit and the m92 supercharger. But for now the engine mods will probably stop and my attention will turn to the suspension next.

Last edited:

Onefunranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Putting the turas injectors in will cause you to run rich for sure and cuase codes to come up for it also putting the headers on and cam in was the biggest notice in hp besides taking the back two cats off best of luck on your goal of two hundred

Airmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda,
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0L Stick, 3.6L Stick
Transmission
Manual
Hell, I'll jump in this thread...

I did a Magnaflow exhaust first. Felt a difference and loved the sound. MPG not noticeable.

I then did K and N Cold Air Intake System. Better throttle response, no real power difference except above 4k rpm. MPG increased by about .5 to 1, not too noticeable.

Next I did underdrive pulleys, power seemed to be slighlty increased but nothing major or "holy shit." MPG actually went up a full mile.

Im currently on my leaking Hurst Shifter. Fun as all hell to shift but still trying to engineer something to fix the leak.

Seafoamed today and definitely smoothed the engine out.

My next upgrade is hopefully 1.8 Rockers and upgraded Valve Springs

The last thing I want is an SCT Tuner.

Overall, it is true, these mods only polish our Turd ever so slightly, but I will say, my truck went from nearly undriveable to, dare I say, "fun."

I dont have money for a project car, if I did I wouldn't bother modding my truck, but I don't. Instead I take my daily driver and give it some lovin. :D

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Prior to the adding the SC, the best mods were the E-fan, and a good cat back system & the underdrive pullies. I also did the roller rockers, but that turned into a bad experience as it totally screwed the rocker arm geometry & ate the valve tips in about 10K miles. I have not personally seen Morana's rockers, but I can tell you I have seen the others & none of those roller rocker arms work as they should for the 3.0.

On the new motor I put together a custom roller rocker, pushrod & valve spring package that has worked great. Roller rocker arms relieve a lot of stress on the valve train in the 3.0, it really does rev smoother, but the geometry must be correct or you will damage the valves & guides.

JP02XLT

Last edited:

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Lucky wife and kids. Nice to know people have a good grasp of what's important in life.
Nobody cares about you and your stock truck, I honestly care more about the shit I left in the toilet after work.

Wait, you've got a bypass filter system on your truck, wasn't the stock system engineered perfectly?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
On a side note, it seems that on a lot of these threads, the people modding have a 5 spd with 3.73's and say its kind of a turd, but I have an auto with 4.10's. Not knowing what the overdrive ratio is on the 5 spds, am I just geared a little better or something? My truck seems pretty damn spritely at a stop light and I can beat most things in town to 25-30MPH, but the gearing sorta loses steam and the torque doesn't seem to come on soon enough to pick up the slack by 40mph. I can roast the tires easily enough, and when I'm kicking down to pass, I can hit 90MPH pretty damn quick, but it just sorta feels like there's a "hole" so to speak in the power around 2000rpm. Is this my sole observation, or do others know what I'm talking about?

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am very excited to find out what i get. Just finished the truck up earlier and as of right now i can only judge by seat of the pants.
What would have been helpful since you have free dyno access is to do a mod then dyno, then do the next mod and so on. That would have been more scientific, which I would have expected from someone with as much experience as you seem to have, it would have also been more helpful to members here. But it looks like you've charged ahead with the usual teenage enthusiasm so no one will know what works best, what adds nothing, and for how much cost.

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey look i would have dyno'd the truck however the school is on spring break right now. Its all locked up. So there for i could not test it. Why dont you go bother someone else. If you would have read my earlier post you would have seen that all ready.

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I ordered the gibson steel chrome from summit racing. 439.90. I will let you know how the install goes once they get here.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow I guess there are no more of the EBay stainless headers, I think I paid $99 for my set & they are built as nice as the JBA set that I also have.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals