• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 performance mods

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't even look on ebay. Wow. oh well too late now. Hey i do have a question about stock. What kind of highway milage were you getting in stock trim? At what mph?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine was awful, when I bought it 12-13 in town & maybe 15 on the highway, after changing the O2's and a couple mods my normal went to 15-16 in town & I have gotten 21 on the highway. After the SC if you drive it sensible, you still get 15-17 in town & I have gotten almost 24 on the highway. The 3.0 spends so much time in the gas sucking mode during even light acceleration its ridiculous, The SC really helped that area, even for fuel mileage. I have a scan gauge and you can watch your instant mpg & attempt to adjust your driving habits accordingly.

All you have to do for the O2 is drill a hole into the header to clear the end of the O2, then weld the bung into the collector area on the header in a location near where the stock O2 is located, any good muffler shop will have the bungs & be able to weld stainless, should not be more that $25- 30 to do it

JP02XLT

Last edited:

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well i was wondering about milage. Right now i can give a 5mph breakdown starting with 55 mph. 55 mph 28 mpg. 60 25, 65 23, 70 22, 75 20. In town is around 25 depending on how i control throttle. i have seen as low as 15 in town.

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that will change once i get the new tires and wheels. i will be running 245 60 15 rear and 225 60 15 fronts.

ranger450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ford escape throttle body? what year? i would like to do that mod...

89PBR96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any news on the Dyno? I have done exhaust to my 94 noticed a little difference not much. but also have stock 3:73 gears and 33's I got my 4:56 gears waiting to go in. Also curious about the escape throttle body also.

Thanks for all the advice on easy Mods. Got a few good laughs out of the negative people in this thread also.

ranger450

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Mods

Hey 89pbr96? what Mods have you done? yeah am reallly interested in the ford escape throttle body mod.

thenaderman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Okay this is what I got done to my 3.0 ranger, ford racing heads, mild cam, ported upper and lower intake to match heads, k&n filter, 8.8 rear end, upgraded auto trans with shift kit and it will dog my buddies 4.0 ranger with k&n filter and a cat back exhaust. I got about 240 rwh with those mods and im in the process of a installing a e/fan. Hope this helps

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay this is what I got done to my 3.0 ranger, ford racing heads, mild cam, ported upper and lower intake to match heads, k&n filter, 8.8 rear end, upgraded auto trans with shift kit and it will dog my buddies 4.0 ranger with k&n filter and a cat back exhaust. I got about 240 rwh with those mods and im in the process of a installing a e/fan. Hope this helps
Ford Racing heads? They've never made any aftermarket heads, or performance heads for the 3.0 that I'm aware of. Got any links or info on them?

Have you dynoed your truck with the current mods? I don't think you're even at 200 whp with your mods. Let alone at 240whp. The only way you're getting a 3.0 over 200 whp is boost, or spending big money on a stroker kit with cam, roller rockers, major head work, headers, and a really good tune. The whipple superchargers only put out 180-200 whp on the 3.0 at 10 lbs of boost.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm

Ford Racing heads? They've never made any aftermarket heads, or performance heads for the 3.0 that I'm aware of. Got any links or info on them?

Have you dynoed your truck with the current mods? I don't think you're even at 200 whp with your mods. Let alone at 240whp. The only way you're getting a 3.0 over 200 whp is boost, or spending big money on a stroker kit with cam, roller rockers, major head work, headers, and a really good tune. The whipple superchargers only put out 180-200 whp on the 3.0 at 10 lbs of boost.
Ah! Reality raises it's ugly head and strikes again!

Ya see, what it is, is really LOUD and that makes up for 70 or therabouts horses..
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wish someone would start up a stock 3.0 thread for all the negative Nellys on the site.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you're even at 200 whp with your mods. Let alone at 240whp. The only way you're getting a 3.0 over 200 whp is boost, or spending big money on a stroker kit with cam, roller rockers, major head work, headers, and a really good tune.
..all the negative Nellys on the site.
Or realistic nellys?

McCormack

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, those Ford engineers design everything perfectly. Oops, wait a minute... ever hear of the Ford Pinto? Or worse yet, have you ever driven a Ford Pinto? I have - it was not one of their better efforts. But if the internet was around back then there would be those that would tell you not to modify their Pintos because the engineers knew what they were doing.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What??

Yup, those Ford engineers design everything perfectly. Oops, wait a minute... ever hear of the Ford Pinto? Or worse yet, have you ever driven a Ford Pinto? I have - it was not one of their better efforts. But if the internet was around back then there would be those that would tell you not to modify their Pintos because the engineers knew what they were doing.
I too owned a Pinto and LOVED IT! You have to go back 40 years to find something on Ford?
The Pinto was and prolly still is a great car. What you are speaking of is the fact that if it got a rear end collision it MIGHT have a puncture of the gas tank. Quite a few were burnt up... including the occupants, before the Ford company recalled them and installed devices that made them far less likely to puncture their tanks from a rear end collision than any other ehicles on the market at that time..
And you use that as a reason to park under your tree and modify a perficly good modern Ford vehicle???
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals