• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 miss while shifting

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 93 ranger 5 speed 4x4. Last fall, I cracked the block on the old engine so I replaced it with a 2001 3.0 from a wrecked truck with 60,000 miles. I converted the new engine back to OBD1 since the truck is wired for a distributor. Engine fired right up on first try and I've been driving it all summer. Now the problem thats developed in the last 2 weeks, is that while shifting through the gears (manual transmission), the truck will miss once after you get back on the gas after shifting gears. It feels like it only misses on one cylinder then returns to running like normal. It will also miss once if its below 1500 rpm under a load (like turning up a hill). Like I said, it'll only miss once per shift but its getting annoying and I want it fixed. All ignition components were put on new when engine was installed. No check engine light. Any suggestions?

monstermazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0l
Transmission
Manual
Look at TPS(throttle position sensor) voltage. Plus air idle control valve. Could be getting too muck fuel, or to much air. Obd 1 only pops up when o2 sensor is not working. And some map sensor or maf are not working like they should.

You can still check to see if codes are there even if it doesn't pop the light. Obd 1 is like 30 to 40% window for poping the light vs obd2 is like 10 to 15%.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks monstermadza for your reply. The TPS voltage was .9 volts when closed, .904 partially open, and 3.62 vots at wide open. The idle air control valve is brand new. I hooked up code reader, no stored codes other than purge canister fault which has been missing for years.

morgan51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ignore the numbers i just posted, TPS voltage: Closed throttle is .82 volts, half open is 2.5 volts, and wide open is 4.36 volts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals