• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Intermittent Stumble then Quit

RonD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't be PCM if you have tried a second one, so wiring

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 7FA902352B4C01: April 5th, 2021

97Ranger3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So, this has got me wondering. How come the PCM isn't able to realize that things don't add up and overcome this issue? I just would think that using TPS data and O2 sensor data that it should be able to realize that the MAF readings are incorrect and adjust somehow. Because I know the truck will run and drive without the MAF sensor plugged in at all, since like RonD had said that the PCM already knows the basic calculations for AFR. So I guess I'm just surprised that the PCM can't adjust for this issue, and I'm also surprised it never throws a code related to the MAF sensor.

Also, I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself here. But, if it ends up pointing to the sensor itself being bad, I would like to replace it with Motorcraft if possible. But all I can find for Motorcraft are remanufactured sensor assemblies. I usually avoid reman parts because they're 99% of the time junk. But, would a Motorcraft reman MAF still be a good option? And if not, what would be a good brand to look for?

Last edited: