• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Engine Swap Info

cb12991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Live life like the captain of a sinking ship.
Hello fellow ranger enthusiasts!

I am currently in the middle of an engine swap in my 98 XLT 3.0. I had bad scoring on the cylinder block walls so decided to buy another 3.0 and replace it. The engine that I bought was from a 01 Taurus 3.0. I know I have to replace the head gaskets, manifolds, and intakes, but I was just wondering if anyone had anymore knowledge on this subject. I thought I had to swap oil pans but the old one wouldn't fit on the new, so we decided to keep it as it was. Is there any thing else I have to swap from my old engine onto the new? Thanks in advance for any information! :yahoo:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, for sure get Ranger 3.0l head gaskets, and '01 head bolts(they are longer than '98)
So Ranger '01 3.0l gasket set with bolts.

You will just use the block and heads from the Taurus, so you will swap everything BUT the block and heads from '98 engine

Remove flexplate and main pulley, replace those seals.

Use flexplate/flywheel and starter from Ranger, use Ranger main pulley and CKP(crank position) sensor.

All accessories from Ranger including water pump

cb12991

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Live life like the captain of a sinking ship.
Ok well I tried to put the Ranger oil pan and oil pump on the Taurus block, but it wouldn't fit. Is there a reason why the two pans must be swapped? Is it because of the oil plug location? My friend says if that's the case we can just seal the old plug hole and thread a new hole at another spot on the pan.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What part doesn't fit?

The oil pump pick up tube and screen usually needs to be changed any time you swap oil pans.

But yes, you could relocated drain plug(pick a low spot), oil pan function is the same on all engines.
But it does need to clear the frame/axles when engine is lowered into place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals