• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 engine failure: how to prevent it?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is what I believe actually happens: Ford has always had a problem with a small piece of dirt seizing up the oil pump. This causes the distributor drive gear to shear. The cam gear is driven in a similar manner. A piece of material the size of a flake of tobacco will do it. Usually part of the rubber valve seals breaking off. You just take the oil pump apart and clean it. Of course with a complete engine failure, no one inspects the oil pump. I think this would work. Surprized Ford hasn't done it themselves.
[/QUOTE]
For real...… This made me laugh when I was reading it.... "ford always had a problem of dirt seizing up the oil pump". Stop putting dirt where the oil belongs then lol.

Smog_Tech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You can purchase a oil filter sandwich for your 3.0 from a place like Glow Shift. It goes between the oil filter and the block and gives you 4 ports to tap into oil pressure. The sandwich is made just for your purpose. I installed an oil pressure switch in my 05 Ranger's dash and used the sandwich to access my oil pressure. Works great!
Thanks! This will simplify things a lot.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Myself, I simply remove the sensor and drop some oil down in there. I use a syringe with a hose on it and put the oil, slowly into the area. Watch the level go down as the oil sinks in. Put sensor back on and motor on. I use a small wrench to loosen and tighten the two bolts. Never been a problem for me, I do it without seeing it. Have 166,500 miles on it now. When and if it blows, off to the scrappers for it. I've had it 20 years. It's done what I needed it to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals