• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 distributor to 3.0 coil fired

dirtyranger 03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm trying to find out if the only thing I need to swap from a 94 distributor 3.0 to a 01 coil fired 3.0 is the cam sinc and the crank trigger? Some more knowledgeable info on this would be greatly appreciated. Only reason for this swap is the donor engine is free and I'm off work on short term till New year's. My engine is down on power lost a cylinder. Thank you very much for any info

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, you would also need a 1995 to 1997 3.0l Engine computer(PCM), to run the coil pack, it does use crank sensor, and cam sensor

1994 and earlier Rangers used the EEC-IV PCM, a 60-wire engine computer which just did the fuel injection, your current TFI system is semi-autonomous

1995 and up Rangers got the EEC-V PCM, a 104-wire engine computer which also had spark control along with fuel injection control
So extra wiring would be needed, not 40 more wires but at least 12 new ones, and you would just swap engine bay wiring harness, not actually add wires

1997 was last year for 35psi fuel system, what you have now, 1998 and up used 55psi

Last edited:

dirtyranger 03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so let me pick your brain a little further. Say I take both engines to long block and swap over all sensors and cam sinc as well as crank trigger to the 94 will that jive? Cause basically all I need to switch it valve cover to oil pan. I can put the 01 intake on the 94 and swap the sensors and trigger I don't mind doing the labor just try to make sure of all my options

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that's doable but not sure the work would be worth it, and you would have PATS to deal with in a 2001 computer

1991 to 2008(last 3.0l) had the same HP and torque, so no benefit with distributor or coil pack they were the same
And same reliability, for some reason 3.0l coil packs seemed to have issuses more often than the other Ranger engine coil packs

If you are having an issue with the distributor system, all new parts would be way less expensive and less work than swapping to EEC-V computer just to get rid of distributor
I would look for a 1996/7 3.0l manual trans computer
1995 Ranger computers were.............unique, and not in a good way, lol

dirtyranger 03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you with your knowledge and a few others I've scrapped this idea lol

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
And same reliability, for some reason 3.0l coil packs seemed to have issuses more often than the other Ranger engine coil packs
The Vulcan/Essex engines used a different coil pack, with a different tower style, and they do seem to have a tendency to burn out more often that the style used on the 2.3/4.0/V8 engines.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals