• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 block variants

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have an opportunity to buy a reman 3.0 short block for $100. It's been sitting in the office of a local junkyard for quite a few years. Supposedly they bought a bunch of reman shortblocks years ago for various vehicles and this is the last one. I was actually told that it is a 4.0 and fits a Ranger... the casting number on the block (F2DE-6015-BA) leads me to believe that it's a 3.0 for a 91-94 Taurus/Sable.

Would this be useful in anything other than those years? Newer Ranger? I am often seeing late 90's/early 2000's trucks with bad 3.0s, if it would work in a later model truck I might just pick it up to have on hand. Even if I had to buy a set of heads, I'd still not have a ton of money into a brand new engine.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
AFAIK the short block never really changed, just the oil pan and heads really.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Of course after I posted this I found a brand new set of 99-07 flex fuel heads for $150 on facebook.

I don't even own or want a 3.0 truck but I feel like I'm going to end up with an engine for one.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blocks are interchangeable. I've always heard that the blocks gained some strengthening ribs over the years, and pics seem to verify that but there aren't any differences that would impact a swap.
Taurus oil pans are different than Ranger pans, but I've got a Taurus pan in my 2000 2WD with no issues. Not sure how a Taurus pan would work with either 4wd or Ibeam suspensions, but not a deal breaker

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals