• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 barely runs

B2_driver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
some v6, some v8, 3.9 cummins
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do unto others as they do unto you
ive got a 93 ranger with a 3.0. it will start up easy but then starts to miss out. ive replaced the distributor with a good used one, cap/ rotor, wires and plugs with no change. all 6 injectors good used, nothing. the head and intake gaskets are new so no vac leaks. good known ground to the block. brand new pump and filter for fuel. 38 psi fuel. checked MASS AIR meter, IAC, coolant temp, o2 sensors, IAT sensor, all tested and OHMed good. rechecked timing. i dont know where else to go with this thing. any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
From what you have checked I would say computer is at fault
Pull it out and open the top
Should look like this: http://www.auto-diagnostics.info/ford_eec_iv

You can see the 3 Blue capacitors in the picture, they can leak and it will corrode the circuit board and cause any number of problems.
You can replace them and clean up the circuit board, or find similar year 3.0l replacement computer, computer must match transmission, i.e. manual or automatic, and EGR or no EGR

B2_driver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
some v6, some v8, 3.9 cummins
Transmission
Manual
My credo
do unto others as they do unto you
that was my last place i was thinking of trying. its really all thats left now. thanks for the input

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals