• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 5spd auto engine swaps

EthanBuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I’m sure that my 3.0 is going out soon and though i’m sure i could find one and throw one in for cheaper then i could swapping in something i’m dumb and would like to toy around with the idea anyway. Though i’m a fan of the ol’ 5.0 it’s also fun to look around at other options
Looking at the trans which i think is the 5r55e and i could be wrong would the AJ30 be a option for it at all or is the 5r55n completely different?
I couldn’t quite find if anyone’s tried it yet..

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
AJ30? A jaguar engine?

EthanBuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
AJ30? A jaguar engine?
Yea i was looking into it and it uses both in the S-type jag and ford thunderbird it’s attached to the 5r55n and looking at the bell pattern on the 5r55e doesn’t look too far off from the pattern on the AJ30.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If you have that much cash to spend buy a crate 302 and have it chromed. By the time you adapt that thing into the truck, buy the electronics to run it and get it running, the 302 would seem cheap and easy to do. How about an EcoBoost 2.3 from a Mustang or Ranger if you don't want a 302? Being a 2002 with OBD II does your state require emissions inspections? NH and many others use the Gordon Darby system for testing(96 and newer in NH) and the VIN in the PCM has to match the VIN on the registration. Please do some research before spending a bunch of money.

EthanBuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
If you have that much cash to spend buy a crate 302 and have it chromed. By the time you adapt that thing into the truck, buy the electronics to run it and get it running, the 302 would seem cheap and easy to do. How about an EcoBoost 2.3 from a Mustang or Ranger if you don't want a 302? Being a 2002 with OBD II does your state require emissions inspections? NH and many others use the Gordon Darby system for testing(96 and newer in NH) and the VIN in the PCM has to match the VIN on the registration. Please do some research before spending a bunch of money.
Mainly most of this is a what if situation and the 302 conversion is pretty common around where i live and i might in the end doing it. I had a 95 mustang 5.0 with 4.11 gears and i’m just not a fan of the mpg so i was mostly looking into the 2.3 eco when i saw that the trans in the same in the thunderbird and jag. It also tends to get a slight higher mpg with lower displacement and higher hp then the 302 though who knows in reality what’s reported i was lucky getting 16 in the mustang. Though it is mostly a novel idea than something that’ll ever be reality, And around here we do do emissions but with how common 302 swaps are around here it doesn’t seem like they’re as strict about having matching vins but i’ll ask a friend. Also looking at chromed crate engines they’re about a the same price if i just went ahead and bought the jaguar itself and took what i needed let alone going to a junk yard..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AJ30 engine shows its 27.5" wide so won't fit in Ranger engine bay

302/5.0l V8 is 19" wide and barely fits

Anytime you get into Overhead Cams in "V" engines the width starts to be an issue, 4.0l SOHC barely fits
DOHC V6 or V8 are minimum 25" wide and just don't fit

You can of course delete heater/AC and move the steering shaft, and have exhaust exit outside the frame rails, definitely a Custom Build

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Why notbuse 3.73 on he 5.0 swap instead of 4.1? That definitely has to be eating some gas with that gear set up

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Mainly most of this is a what if situation and the 302 conversion is pretty common around where i live and i might in the end doing it. I had a 95 mustang 5.0 with 4.11 gears and i’m just not a fan of the mpg so i was mostly looking into the 2.3 eco when i saw that the trans in the same in the thunderbird and jag. It also tends to get a slight higher mpg with lower displacement and higher hp then the 302 though who knows in reality what’s reported i was lucky getting 16 in the mustang. Though it is mostly a novel idea than something that’ll ever be reality, And around here we do do emissions but with how common 302 swaps are around here it doesn’t seem like they’re as strict about having matching vins but i’ll ask a friend. Also looking at chromed crate engines they’re about a the same price if i just went ahead and bought the jaguar itself and took what i needed let alone going to a junk yard..
I was being facetious about a chrome engine, my point was how much cheaper a 302 would be than a Jag. Most people looking for gas mileage wouldn't run 4.10 gears. My Mustang has a modified, carbureted 302 with a conservative cam, a T5, and 3.55 gears, and it runs 13.8 @ 102 in the quarter. One Saturday I gassed up, drove 2 hours at 75-80, made 9 passes down the track, drove back home, then drove to work and back until Wednesday when I filled up again. 19mpg. If you're getting 16 mpg with a 95 Mustang - even with 4.10/4.11 gears- something is wrong.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Vulcan 3.0 has a unique bell housing bolt pattern. A 3.0 trans isn't going to bolt to anything but a Vulcan 3.0.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
At this point, a Honda K swap would probably be easier than the Jag set up.
Here's a K swapped Chevy
1669840722382.png

and a K swapped Fox Body
1669840750838.png

It's the "new LS swap" lol

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals