• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 2wd A4LD -> M50D parts list.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, I took the bait. To hell with the A4LD when it goes the M50D is going in.

A few questions :

What combination (year, engine, drivetrain) can the M50D come from to be a direct swap for my truck?

What parts will I need to do this?

How much time is involved in the swap?

Is there a way to remove the auto shifter from the steering column?

I did a few searches, but I didn't find much. Strangely.

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
basically your going to need a 3.0 manual tranny.. flywheel clutch slave cylinder, master cylinder, the clutch pedal assembly new computer, the tranny harness, only way to remove the auto shifer from the colum is to replace it with one that had a 5spd in it. the swap really isnt all that bad.. you should be able to do it in a weekend. your also going to want a tranny from a 2wd truck. this way you wont have to worry about the tail shaft.

Good luck!! and have fun!

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Should I look into rebuilding the transmission? It's gonna cost me about 100 for it. 75 if I go when it's on sale..

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another thing, what do I have to look for with the computer? I've never swapped one of those before.. how hard is it? IIRC it's just plug and play, correct?

ati190

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will need trans, computer from donor vehicle. Clutch pedal assembly, and master cyl. Flywheel and slave included, and also the clutch line. The hole is already in the floor, just remove the plate, and swap the plate in from the donor vehicle.

Swapping the PCM is Plug and play providing it is from a 93/94 I believe, I would check that though.. Also I would grab the wiring harness from the 5speed donor as well. It's a much cleaner swap imo. You need the steering column from the 5spd donor vehicle as well.

As for rebuilding the trans, before you leave the junkyard I'd pull the top cover housing off the trans and have a look see. Check for chunks of metal, chipped teeth on gears, and pay close attention to what fluid was in it, and how much. If its low on fluid, or had gear oil or some other crap put in it look elsewhere. Look for anything out of the ordinary. Also, I'd grab the input shaft, and see how much play it has. If you are able to walk it all over the place, I'd find another. The m50d is reliable.

While you are in the boneyard, if your truck has the crossmember with those "ears" that mount outside the frame rails throw it away. The tranny crossmember will have rubber bushings on it. If its indeed that member, don't bother trying to salvage it. Get one from a 1st gen explorer, or 2nd gen ranger. The new member will mount in place of the other, and make your life a whole lot easier.

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Found a 2wd 5spd 3.0 parts truck at the JY. It has 180k on it though. Not sure if I should go for it but it's better then nothing. Hopefully its all still there when I get there.

What tools will I need to take all of this off? I'm going to call the yard tomorrow to get prices.

Also, will the trans or computer have to come from a 2wd 3.0 truck? If I can find a lower mileage trans and just take the computer from the high mileage one I'd rather do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals