• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd overlanding?

Dalton3636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there! New to the site. I've got a 95' 2wd xlt ranger with an auto trans and posi 8.8 with 3.55 gears. I've put 265/70r16s on it (about 31" tall) and I have a stock suspension. My question is what should I do to it to get it ready for some overlanding? If that's even possible with a 2wd. Will add pictures when I can. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Overlanding can vary from paved roads to mild rock crawling. How to set up your Ranger depends on how difficult the trails are that you want to take. Not having low range with 3.55 gears and 31" tires will be one limitation but the 2WD can work in some pretty tough stuff if you have a good limited slip differential or a locker.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spend money on a great winch if off-roading at all!

Dalton3636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Overlanding can vary from paved roads to mild rock crawling. How to set up your Ranger depends on how difficult the trails are that you want to take. Not having low range with 3.55 gears and 31" tires will be one limitation but the 2WD can work in some pretty tough stuff if you have a good limited slip differential or a locker.
I'm just looking do do some easier trails to camp and fish, just some backwoods stuff in the Ohio area mainly.

Dalton3636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What gearing should I go with (keep in mind I daily it) and how good is the stock ford posi for now? And what would be a good locker to upgrade to?

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What winch would you recommend?
Whatever U can afford. Even Harbor Freight have decent ones. Get an 8,000lb winch, larger is good but they get heavier as U go up. Add a 2" receiver front and rear and wire the winch with a cradle so U can put it on either end.

Here is mine. A local guy welded up one for me. Here is also a pic of the same setup on my Dodge 2500.

This way U can put the winch where it is needed and also carry it inside the vehicle to prevent corrosion and keep it cleaner. I used welding cable to run power from the battery to the red Anderson quick connectors. Lately I've had a problem with one of my connectors corroding badly so keep an eye on those.
Action pic of little ranger pulling out F150

My 90' F150

Last edited:

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What gearing should I go with (keep in mind I daily it) and how good is the stock ford posi for now? And what would be a good locker to upgrade to?
I have 3:21 or 3:27 gears (can't remember which) and 4X4 with 32" tires...not great but doable. Don't worry about gearing but do get a LSD (Truetrac) or an auto locker like an Powertrax No-slip.:headbang:

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I did a bunch of camping, fishing, hiking, biking, and skiing out of a Honda Civic...............Your truck is much better equipped. Get out, have fun!

My first recovery device was a Highlift jack, second was a come along winch (yes, a hand winch). I also made use of my emergency brake traction device which was built into my first mini truck.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Having an automatic transmission allows you to use taller differential gears with taller tires but it can still be hard on the transmission if you don't have low range as with 2WD. The ideal gear ratio with 31" tires is 4.10 but with an automatic 3.73 will work too.

I have been doing some pretty rough off-road trips since 1977 and my recovery gear has been a shovel, tow straps and a come along. The shovel is the only thing I have used to get myself unstuck. The tow strap has been use many times to help someone else. The come along was never needed but I was near needing it a time or two. A few years ago I bought a high lift jack because it was required on a group trip I was taking. I have never used it either but it is nice to have if needed.

I have no desire to get a winch but I don't see much mud on the trails I take either. I think in Ohio a winch could be something to consider.

Your Ford lsd should be good for what you are doing. If you want to upgrade there are many choices depending on how much you want to spend. I run Torsen front and rear and am happy with that choice. A selectable locker would be the only other choice for me but that can get expensive.

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals