• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2wd 302 swap

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I have created this account to ask if I can put a explorer 302 from a 99-01 explorer, into my 99 ranger 2.5 2wd. I’ve seen a bunch of people doing 302s in 4x4s, and I know that these v8s can drop right into the 4x4s. Can I drop this 302 in, easily? Or do I need a adapter plate kit? Also, i am wondering what all I will need to carburetor swap this motor? I’m looking at getting a manual trans from a junkyard f150. I will get the 8.8 rear diff from the same explorer I’m getting the motor from. I feel like carb swap would be nicer and I would like to tinker with it anyway. Thank you!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2wd's are easier than 4wd's generally.

Staying EFI would be much easier than converting to carb. Like it is is nearly plug and play vs rewiring everything.

Not sure on that new of one but I think they make adaptor plates for the engine mounts.

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Ok 👍 would carb swapping be more expensive then? I’m looking to make this into like a drag strip toy. Take it on cruses but also roast some tires doing it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You wouldn't use an Explorer V8 if you want a carb distributor setup as the end result
The benefit of using the explorer V8 was it was fuel injected with a low intake manifold that fits under Ranger hood, and you get the V8 computer with engine wiring harness to run the fuel injection
You can get the older carb/distributor 302's for less money, unless you get a super deal on a whole explorer

The Ford 302/5.0l was used from about 1967 to 2001 in Ford cars and trucks, most of that time with a carb and distributor
There are lots of options for carbs and distributors for the 302s
And plenty of upgrades for this engine

The 302 fits Ranger engine bays because its only 19" wide, its not quite a drop in, you do need motor mounts and to use a remote mount oil filter
The 2wd and 4x4 are the same in that respect, 2wd is usually easier

For shifter placement, the M5OD-R2 from a 1996-2003 F-150 4.2l V6 2wd is best, shifter would be in the same place as Ranger's shifter
Other 5-speeds will have shifter just under the dash or just at the front of the seat in a Ranger, but a custom bent shift arm can be made

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you would have to figure out the fuel system and buy a carb/intake and ignition.

Only real snag would be you would have to have the computer reflashed to adjust it for a manual trans if you want that... or just find a 2wd 4R70W and run that.
Welcome to TRS :)

You wouldn't use an Explorer V8 if you want a carb distributor setup as the end result
The benefit of using the explorer V8 was it was fuel injected with a low intake manifold that fits under Ranger hood, and you get the V8 computer with engine wiring harness to run the fuel injection
You can get the older carb/distributor 302's for less money, unless you get a super deal on a whole explorer
Explorer has the best of everything and you can just install a distributor in it if you want to run a Mustang wiring harness/ignition. The intake is a popular upgrade for EFI 5.0 Mustangs.

The 5.0 in my truck is a carb swapped '87 Crown Vic engine and it has a lot of Explorer stuff on it. I probably have half of a Explorer V8 cost in just the Explorer front accessory drive swap (which IMO is a gotta have)

Explorer 5.0's make good power and are plentiful in yards yet, even if you don't want EFI they are the best way to go. Beats the heck out of a flat tappet 130hp 2bbl weezer from the 70's or 80's.

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, you would have to figure out the fuel system and buy a carb/intake and ignition.

Only real snag would be you would have to have the computer reflashed to adjust it for a manual trans if you want that... or just find a 2wd 4R70W and run that.

Explorer has the best of everything and you can just install a distributor in it if you want to run a Mustang wiring harness/ignition. The intake is a popular upgrade for EFI 5.0 Mustangs.

The 5.0 in my truck is a carb swapped '87 Crown Vic engine and it has a lot of Explorer stuff on it. I probably have half of a Explorer V8 cost in just the Explorer front accessory drive swap (which IMO is a gotta have)

Explorer 5.0's make good power and are plentiful in yards yet, even if you don't want EFI they are the best way to go. Beats the heck out of a flat tappet 130hp 2bbl weezer from the 70's or 80's.
Ok so should I get the explorer motor and not an older variant of the 302? What parts would I need to carb swap the motor? I can’t find hardly anything

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual

So for the intake, should I get one from like jegs or something for a mustang 302 that’s a later model?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are you wanting to do?

If carb I like my weiand stealth but it's the only intake I have ever had.

If efi the Explorer intake is rather sought after, it is basically a cast Cobra intake.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've never stared at them side by side - what's so different between the various intake setups? At first glance, all the 80's+ EFI intake setups are cosmetically similar.

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
What are you wanting to do?

If carb I like my weiand stealth but it's the only intake I have ever had.

If efi the Explorer intake is rather sought after, it is basically a cast Cobra intake.
I’m definitely thinking I want to go carb. Is there a intake I could get from an older carburetor 302 f150 or something? Also, what suspension changes should I make?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I’m definitely thinking I want to go carb.
Why? That introduces hurdles you could skip otherwise, and it's a potential issue for inspections and operating it on the street. There's no way around it being illegal by federal emissions standards (whether that gets enforced locally is a separate issue).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I’m definitely thinking I want to go carb. Is there a intake I could get from an older carburetor 302 f150 or something? Also, what suspension changes should I make?
Sure, depends on if you want 2bbl or 4bb. 2bb intakes grow on trees, 4bbl is a little harder to turn up oem used. Aftermarket used should be fairly easy on craigslist/marketplace etc.

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Sure, depends on if you want 2bbl or 4bb. 2bb intakes grow on trees, 4bbl is a little harder to turn up oem used.
I’m not quite sure what bbl means but I assume it has to do with like a 2 barrel or a four barrel carb. Thanks for the info. As far as emissions and hurdles go, our cops are very lenient on those types of things. There’s old chevys and fords that are modified running everywhere. As long as you drive safe the cops don’t care. And the whole reason why I want to go carb is because to me it looks cleaner under the hood, and I want to tinker under hood playing with the mixture screws and idle screw and choke and everything. But will I need new suspension components? Like a stiffer spring?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3l Lima was a heavy engine, weighs in at 425lbs
302 was a lighter engine for a V8 and weighs in at 450lbs

So no, springs should be fine if they are fine now

Jack Bossick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
2.3l Lima was a heavy engine, weighs in at 425lbs
302 was a lighter engine for a V8 and weighs in at 450lbs

So no, springs should be fine if they are fine now
Sweet! Thank you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals